OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: What happens when you drive around an old goldfield at night..........

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens when you drive around an old goldfield at night..........

Went out camping for a couple of nights before Christmas, only 20 km from home. Nice quiet spot not too many people know about. Just hit the swag around midnight when I hear a vehicle. They do a U turn when they see my camp & drive off. About a minute later can`t hear them anymore, then hear some voices.

Next minute I hear "hey mate, could you give us a hand?". So I get up, ask what the problem is. "Veered around a fallen tree & have gone down a mineshaft"

So I fire up the Patrol, start the Dashcam, drive 50 meters & found their 4by nose down a hole.

Dragged him halfway out of the hole when there was a loud bang. He thought that something had broken on the suspension, but it was just things settling back into place.

Got them the rest of the way out & after apologising for disturbing me, off they went. Luckily I just happened to be there that night. No phone service for about 10 km around, so it would have been a good hike to the nearest house about 5 km away.

Probably not a good idea to drive around an old goldfield at night, especially if you haven't been there before. Luckily it was only a small hole, some of them out there are quite deep & hidden in the long grass. Hav`nt seen that vehicle around town before, must have been visiting relations.

Don't think the young ladies were too impressed!.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd January 2017), Softy (2nd January 2017)