Thread: Landcruiser rolls off barge to Fraser

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    I think we get thought when going for a licence test to put handbrake on and leave in gear or park when stopped but could be different where you got yours...but it's common sense to me

On the cost side, if this added an extra 5 minutes to each of their trips it would add a substantial cost of running the barge. Remember its only a30min whole trip which includes boarding, etc. around 17% if my maths is correct. Now compared to the Herald which has roughly a 3hr + trip on water and probably the same boarding I think an extra few minutes to close the door would not equate to any major cost increase.

Also there were few other major contributing factors to the Harolds sinking going by your link. Main one was the ship was not designed for this particular trip..

The Fraser barge can go across with the door open.

Anyway, all good
    Except for peak holiday times, you usually have to wait until barge has several vehicles on board before it leaves so there is plenty of time to to check so can't see any reason to increase prices.
    Usually the ramp comes up as they leave the beach and they have to lower front one as they approach beach for better visibility.
    I think is is now $120 return because there is no competition. It was only $80 not that long ago until Kingfisher Bay mob pulled their barges out and left it to Mantaray. Amazing what competition does. I use Kingfisher barge from River Heads as it is only 5klm from home for similar price as a local but normal price is $165 return.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Except for peak holiday times, you usually have to wait until barge has several vehicles on board before it leaves so there is plenty of time to to check so can't see any reason to increase prices.
    When we were there in July(school holidays), we saw 10+ vehicles sitting there lined up waiting to get on the barge and more just rolling in constantly. Once the deckie gets you in position he has to move onto the next vehicle ASAP to get it parked, etc. From what I saw they run a pretty efficient service.

Maybe off peak they would have less vehicles so therefore more time to do all the checks.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    When we were there in July(school holidays), we saw 10+ vehicles sitting there lined up waiting to get on the barge and more just rolling in constantly. Once the deckie gets you in position he has to move onto the next vehicle ASAP to get it parked, etc. From what I saw they run a pretty efficient service.

Maybe off peak they would have less vehicles so therefore more time to do all the checks.
    I have only used Mantaray once in last 5 yrs after moving to "The Heads" but non peak and other slow times, I have been on the barge for 15/20 minutes waiting for more vehicles to make it worth while to do the crossing.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567