User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Landcruiser rolls off barge to Fraser

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. We all make errors and forget things, so I guess that makes us all stupid at different times in our lives. But when you are charging for a service, (and the Captain of a vessel), you have certain responsibilities to your crew, passengers and cargo. This is like the fact that we have a 'Fasten your seatbelt' sign on aeroplanes before taking off, but the hostess still walks around and checks compliance.

In the case of the barge, Yes- Perhaps they did not leave it in gear or the handbrake on. But the Captain is NOT supposed to leave until the rear ramp has been raised (just in case a vehicle moves). This procedure helps prevent unintended deaths that have occurred in the past (NSW and overseas).

The barge ramp moves up in line with the rest of the both side of the barge. As can be seen by the photo below, the Captain has driven away from the shore and failed to raise the rear ramp, and this has allowed a vehicle to be lost and could have easily resulted in tragic deaths had there been children in the vehicle. It was a good lesson for the barge operators to ensure that people and vehicles are well secured before moving away from the shore. I am pretty confident that the minute all the barge operators found out what had occurred, they immediately-
    (1) Instructed the Deck Hands to check vehicles were in gear and handbrake on
    (2) Ensured Deck Hands confirmed all vehicles are secured before moving away from the shore
    (3) Ensured the rear ramp was FULLY raised before moving away from the shore

Having investigated these events in the past, I would be fairly confident in suggesting that the barge company has had a procedure in place stating the above three points for many years already and that the procedure was simply not followed.

Capture.JPG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    7 news just reported that the barge operator has been deemed responsible.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course he's responsible, well indirectly that is..... it's called "Duty of care"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

threedogs (5th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watch the prices skyrocket as it will take twice as long to do this trip. Check everyone's vehicle, wait till the gate is up at the bank. All because of one imbecile.

Whats's next...make sure this dickheds handbag is secure as well...Fark Me!

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Wizard52 (6th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Simple check, a purpose built lever under a tyre and push down to see if the car moves. Only takes a second.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Watch the prices skyrocket as it will take twice as long to do this trip. Check everyone's vehicle, wait till the gate is up at the bank. All because of one imbecile.

Whats's next...make sure this dickheds handbag is secure as well...Fark Me!
    These sort of checks are what should be done in the first place........... reminds me of this which was a much grander scale and many people killed due to rushing and making sure shit was done before setting off......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hera...prise_disaster

I was on this the day before

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    These sort of checks are what should be done in the first place........... reminds me of this which was a much grander scale and many people killed due to rushing and making sure shit was done before setting off......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hera...prise_disaster

I was on this the day before
    Where does it end though? My camera is broken, my glasses fell off, my child has a bruise, where is the first aid room, where are my chairs, it's too windy, it's too swelly...all for a 10 min trip.

Like someone said before, we are becoming a bunch off pussies like the yanks and will sue for everything!
    Last edited by Maxhead; 4th January 2017 at 07:35 PM.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Hodge (4th January 2017), threedogs (5th January 2017), Wizard52 (6th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where does it end though? My camera is broken, my glasses fell off, my child has a bruise, where is the first aid room, where are my chairs, it's too windy, it's too swelly...all for a 10 min trip.

Like someone said before, we are becoming a bunch off pussies like the yanks and will sue for everything!
    I couldn't care less about personal affects and bruises and I couldn't give a rats about who sues who and for why....... and irrispective of what you deem to be common sense regarding putting the car in gear having the handbrake on. Those ramps should have been up and the operators make sure that drivers are aware that hand brake is applied and vehicle is in gear or in park

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (5th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    I couldn't care less about personal affects and bruises and I couldn't give a rats about who sues who and for why....... and irrispective of what you deem to be common sense regarding putting the car in gear having the handbrake on. Those ramps should have been up and the operators make sure that drivers are aware that hand brake is applied and vehicle is in gear or in park
    Fair point. I was on the barge few months back and when you drive on and get guided by one of the deckies you get told to put the handbrake ON and leave it in gear trough your drivers window just when you stop. Then the barge takes off and the practice is to start lifting the gate as you start moving to make the trip more efficient.

Like I said above, now prices will go up as it will take longer because of one dick with no common sense

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fair point. I was on the barge few months back and when you drive on and get guided by one of the deckies you get told to put the handbrake ON and leave it in gear trough your drivers window just when you stop. Then the barge takes off and the practice is to start lifting the gate as you start moving to make the trip more efficient.

I do however put the car in 1st when parked facing up hill and wheels pointed left, and when pointing dowhill, in reverse gear and wheels again facing left

Like I said above, now prices will go up as it will take longer because of one dick with no common sense
    I wouldn't have known to leave the car in gear, handbrake is a given ..... nothing to do with common sense, but to do with never having taken a car on a ferry or barge before.

When the Herald of Free Enterprise went down, they originally stated the reason for not dropping the nose cone before departing was "efficiency"..... that practice stopped immediately. It didn't drive up costs
    Last edited by Clunk; 4th January 2017 at 08:21 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast