Thread: Where is my Fuel Pump?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is my Fuel Pump?

I have recently acquired a petrol 1993 Patrol GQ-Y60 TB42.

Yesterday, it began struggling for power climbing the hill to my house and then again going up my steep driveway barely making it to the top. Once at the top of the driveway, I was able rev the engine ok, but after turning it off it wouldn't start again, although it had previously started fine just 10 minutes before, on the first turn of the ignition switch. My immediate thought was no/insufficient petrol was getting to the carburettor. Not knowing the last time the fuel filter had been replaced, I thought the that would be best place to look first, so I pulled off the fuel line off from the fuel filters outlet to the carburettor to see if any fuel was getting out of the filter. I turned the motor over a couple of times and no fuel was being ejected from the filter. To test further I then pulled the fuel line off the inlet side of filter. Again I turned the motor over again a few times, no fuel was being pumped out of the fuel line to the filter, making me think the fuel pump may have just died. Looking at the Service Manual for my Patrol, it shows that the fuel pump is a mechanical pump, located next the to the fuel filter, however, in tracing the fuel line running into the filter, it runs directly all the way back to tank with no fuel pump to be seen? Also fuel line coming out of the filter runs directly into inlet manfold, somewhere at back of the engine, no filter there either. So if there in no mechanical filter then I'm guessing there must be an electric fuel pump located somewhere. I do note that I use to occasional hear some whirring noise at the rear of the vehicle sometimes after parking and with engine shut-off. Could this be my missing fuel pump?

So my questions are:

1) What types of fuel pumps did the these old Nissan Patrols have fitted;
    2) Where are they located, so I can find it
    3) Any ideas who sells these pumps

Many Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Silly, question, but how much fuel is in the tank?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate. If you post your question here- ( http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...and-Drivetrain ) more people will see your question and will be able to answer you. Cheers.
    1989 GQ TD42 N/A.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would have thought being a 1993 yours would be an EFI........ I could have sworn the pump was towards the rear. When you switch on your ignition you should be able to hear the pump switch on

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks will do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged