OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Loud squealing noise from belts/pulleys...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud squealing noise from belts/pulleys...

I got lumbered with a ZD30 2 weeks ago with a zd30 engine, the guy told me the noise at the front of the engine was just the belt squealing and handed me a new belt. after replacing the belt and the tensioner pulley the noise stopped for about 30 minutes then started again. If I spray anything on the belt the noise stops or is reduced to almost stopped, It is embarrassing to drive, the squealing is so loud, if I'm lucky after the engine has warmed up the noise is almost gone when the engine is idling. I have an alternator here given to me when I bought a converted zd30 about 2 years ago, so am going to try swapping alternators around to see if that make a difference as the alternator on the car is a higher amp one with a clutch and the other one is a stock alternator with a solid pulley. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I started hating the car after owning it for an hour.... Please help, all ideas etc will be tried to stop the squealing...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could it be the idler pulley ? They are common to fail on the ZD30's.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the belt an OEM or AM? AM belts, even the recognised brands like Gates, etc can squeal soon after new. I learnt this the hard way, so bought an OEM and squeal gone. I know the old trick was rubbing a wax soap on the belt while running to stop squeal but never tried it in a ZD (not much room - and I value my ten digits)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be just the wrong belt. Have had the same problem with mine. Turned out that any belt apart from genuine would squeal. Tried CRC Belt Conditioning spray, worked for a while but the noise came back. Also tried Graphite Powder,& soap, same result.

Only thing that made a difference was using a genuine belt. Since changing it have not had a squeal since.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all of the above

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRC belt conditioner made my squealing belt worse.
    Try a puff of talcum powder (with engine stopped), it will silence any belt noises and let you listen for other noises.
    Graham