Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack it up and recheck.
    It could have needed a run to settle.

I normally recheck after I do mine.

I believe that tighter is better, but I'm not mechanic.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you may need a front wheel balance imho
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I don't think any are missing. I do this clockwise rotation every 5k stringently and have never had anything like this happened. Except this time I nipped up the bearings... Which, I doubt are my trouble with the wobbles personally.
    Have you tried it with the original wheel on it before you did the rotation?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Have you tried it with the original wheel on it before you did the rotation?
    Nah I haven't. Well... I have but not at those speeds. So I rotated the tyres and when I was at front wheels, I noticed the slop from 12-6. Put all wheels back on (rotated) went for a drive, but max speed was 70, and noticed NO wobble. Came home and nipped up the bearings. And today on the highway copped the wobbles...
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting, can't imagine tightening the wheel bearings would result in the wobbles. makes no sense at all. in fact one of the things to check when chasing the answer is to tighten the wheel bearings. I'd start with a wheel balance to check that, if one of your rears had thrown a weight you would not feel that until you fitted it to the front.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (28th March 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Interesting, can't imagine tightening the wheel bearings would result in the wobbles. makes no sense at all. in fact one of the things to check when chasing the answer is to tighten the wheel bearings. I'd start with a wheel balance to check that, if one of your rears had thrown a weight you would not feel that until you fitted it to the front.
    Thanks Darren.
    What you said makes sense. I also wondered , if I lost a weight or something on the rear left ( which is now on the front left ) , why I didn't get any wobbles or anything before roation. But like you said bringing it to the front will exacerbate the issue. Makes sense.

Also sorry for thread crapping about my issues. This is after all bearing tightening DIY guide.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - if you have a GQ and the hexagonal nut and lock washers that need bending; you can purchase the nuts and washer as seen here as kit from patrolapart, eBay etc.
    I highly recommend it!

Sent from mTalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonesy_sa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th March 2017), threedogs (28th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Thanks Darren.
    What you said makes sense. I also wondered , if I lost a weight or something on the rear left ( which is now on the front left ) , why I didn't get any wobbles or anything before roation. But like you said bringing it to the front will exacerbate the issue. Makes sense.

Also sorry for thread crapping about my issues. This is after all bearing tightening DIY guide.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    If you were out of balance on a rear wheel you would not feel t in the car. most balance all 4 for tyre wear issues but the rears will not vibrate through the car very much but the front will be hideous through the steering wheel. A lot of places only balance the front 2 and only do 4 on request. Dumb and Lazy in my opinion. Check the balance mate.

Note all your info here is welcome and adds to the thread. it also problem solves for future searches.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (28th March 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just helped a workmate out doing his on a 2009 Patrol (my old 3L).
    Done the right side. No issues.
    We done the left side, all good. But when I was putting the hub back on. It just would not go all the way. There was a 5mm gap .
    So I slowly put the allan bolts back on, and done the up slowly one by one. And the bolts them selves ended up marrying up the hub flush.
    So, could this just be the axle movement ? It may have come out a bit when we took the hub off ? @MudRunnerTD
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you lock the hub? It sounds like it was not aligned properly. I'm thinking you just engaged the hub but that should not be an issue. Put the car in reverse and see if you her a click as you roll back. Then jack it up again and make sure the front is not locked

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast