Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY Wheel Bearing Adjustment.

So in heading away for Christmas and as part of my pre-trip check I tightened my front wheel bearings. While I was at it I thought I'd take some pics and show how easy it is.

So I have jacked the front off the ground and put axle stands under the front diff.

By grabbing your wheel at 12 & 6 you can check for play by trying to rock your wheel. Mine had a little play so I am just nipping them up.

Leave the wheel on and jacked up.

Turn your hubs to the Locked position

Undo the hub bolts

Remove the hub.

If you have a GQ you will now be looking at a big nut. Mine is a GU and some of the late GQs run this system too. Not a bad upgrade if you have the old Nut system.

The GU runs a locking ring held in by 2 little Phillips head screws.

Undo the 2 screws and set aside.

Using pointy nose pliers grab the locking ring and remove. This can be a little tricky as the grease sucks it on but easy enough. Try from a few spots.

Now your looking at the tension nut. That's where you want to be.

Using the special hub spanner off eBay. (You should all have one and carry it in your spares.) Tighten the nut until it's got load. Some load.

At this point I don't use the a torque wrench, just feel. There is a little room here IMO.

Tighten the nut. You will see the lock ring has heaps of holes in it. You need to tighten to a position that the holes are over the threaded holes for the Phillips head screws to go back in, you might need a few goes to get it perfect.

Check the wheel for slop. Spin the wheel both ways a few times and if your happy with how it spins then bolt the hub back on. Your done.

Don't forget to unlock the hubs

Happy Travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 24th December 2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (4th June 2019), Bacho86 (24th December 2016), bignev (24th December 2016), Bob (24th December 2016), BrazilianY60 (24th August 2022), Col.T (8th February 2017), Hodge (24th December 2016), Ibbo (14th June 2018), jack (24th December 2016), John43ls (6th February 2017), Mc4by (24th December 2016), my third 256 (11th February 2017), OuchOne (12th May 2022), PeeBee (6th February 2017), threedogs (26th March 2017), Touses (7th February 2017), Wine_maker (31st January 2018)