Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    No, it will need a new axle seal. Will and Should ate 2 different words mate

If the seal is gone and you ha e never done a rebuild then it really will make a difference. How many kms has your car done mate?
    140k.
    And apart from tightening the bearings as per this thread, nothing else had been touched or regreased, like , ever.
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Hodge yeah take out one of the lower king pin bearing bolts and see if anything drains out. If nothing your good to go.
    Drizabone both sides .
    I guess , most likely bit of water got through auto hubs ... So bead of silicone a trick as muddy suggested ?
    Last edited by Hodge; 6th October 2019 at 09:10 AM.
    2005 TD42TI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 469 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @MudRunnerTD for the detailed explanation. Changed the tires on the GU today and took it for an alignment. The technician checked for all the bushings (all good) and for wheel play before setting up all the alignment gear, and actually found play on both sides. He ended up not setting up the gear and told me to adjust the bearings first and then go back for alignment. So here I am looking for knowledge from this great forum.

I don't have the lock nut tool but it seems easy to make one. Meanwhile, I'll give it a shot trying to turn the locking nut using a pair of "bent nose" circlip pliers. Lets see how that goes.

Cheers from Brazil!
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Thank you @MudRunnerTD for the detailed explanation. Changed the tires on the GU today and took it for an alignment. The technician checked for all the bushings (all good) and for wheel play before setting up all the alignment gear, and actually found play on both sides. He ended up not setting up the gear and told me to adjust the bearings first and then go back for alignment. So here I am looking for knowledge from this great forum.

I don't have the lock nut tool but it seems easy to make one. Meanwhile, I'll give it a shot trying to turn the locking nut using a pair of "bent nose" circlip pliers. Lets see how that goes.

Cheers from Brazil!
    I made do with a home made tool for the first couple of years I had our GU. Buying a proper tool given how cheap they are & easier to use than the one I made had me wishing I'd just bought one in the first place. My home made one consisted of a length of steel bar with two pegs welded to it. Suggest you find an ebay seller willing to post to you from here (for future use) unless you can replicate the 'socket' type tool yourself. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193557575219

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (24th August 2022), MudRunnerTD (24th August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 469 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa!
    I can definitely replicate it myself. Just wanting to tighten the bearings before Friday to get the alignment done and I won't probably have time to tackle the tool construction before that.

Another way to build the tool that crossed my mind is looking for a pipe with the appropriate diameter, cutting two "less then a half-moon" out of it leaving the two teeth for lock ring engagement and welding a nut on the other end. Then instead of driving it with the square half inch ratchet alone, I would drive it with the ratchet plus corresponding socket to the nut.
    Last edited by BrazilianY60; 24th August 2022 at 12:08 PM.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

mihit (26th August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,216 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a rush as you are BZ Mate a baby sized cold chizel and lightweight self torque tapping hammer always works. I really should buy the tool one of these days too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: (Bush Needs) Tap away lightly on your nuts when nearly home on the threads to compress dodgey washers, until your baby light hammer starts pinging/bouncing back.
    1/8 turn tap backwards (disclaimer) has always worked for me around perfect Nm
    The ‘ping’ feeling of steel/steel bounce back is no different a feeling of popping a tapered joint apart of steering links. Two equal weight hammers perfectly struck in time colliding with one joint magically works

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    In a rush as you are BZ Mate a baby sized cold chizel and lightweight self torque tapping hammer always works. I really should buy the tool one of these days too

^^^^^^^ What He Said ^^^^^^

A punch and hammer will get it done.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (25th August 2022), mihit (26th August 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A punch and hammer will get it done.

I'd use a punch over a cold chisel, and you'll get a feel for how hard they need to be done up. (worst case you put the wheel back on and feel play you take it apart and do it again)

I also drive forward, never back-off, to the next locking screw tab/slot/hole.
    Bearings can take a fuckton (metric) of preload before suffering damage, way more than you're going to put on it with hand tools.

Your idea of hacking up pipe is a fine one. BTDT too. try and get a radius on the pegs so's it's not squarepeg roundhole.

The actual locknut socket (41mm?) should be available from an engineering house, if you really feel the need for one.
    If you do have the socket then the procedure is to tighten it until the bearing siezes (hub can't turn) then loosen it off completely, then tighten to whatever torque is specified in the manual, 20 ish foot pounds, IIRC.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (27th August 2022), MB (27th August 2022), MudRunnerTD (26th August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Wheel Bearing Adjustment.

^^^^^^What They Said
    Baby Cold Chisels/Punches with a slight say 10 degree woof/bend in them are even betterer in the bush and merely take up 0.00000001m3 of spares box space

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast