Thread: DIY Wheel Bearing Adjustment.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY Wheel Bearing Adjustment.

So in heading away for Christmas and as part of my pre-trip check I tightened my front wheel bearings. While I was at it I thought I'd take some pics and show how easy it is.

So I have jacked the front off the ground and put axle stands under the front diff.

By grabbing your wheel at 12 & 6 you can check for play by trying to rock your wheel. Mine had a little play so I am just nipping them up.

Leave the wheel on and jacked up.

Turn your hubs to the Locked position

Undo the hub bolts

Remove the hub.

If you have a GQ you will now be looking at a big nut. Mine is a GU and some of the late GQs run this system too. Not a bad upgrade if you have the old Nut system.

The GU runs a locking ring held in by 2 little Phillips head screws.

Undo the 2 screws and set aside.

Using pointy nose pliers grab the locking ring and remove. This can be a little tricky as the grease sucks it on but easy enough. Try from a few spots.

Now your looking at the tension nut. That's where you want to be.

Using the special hub spanner off eBay. (You should all have one and carry it in your spares.) Tighten the nut until it's got load. Some load.

At this point I don't use the a torque wrench, just feel. There is a little room here IMO.

Tighten the nut. You will see the lock ring has heaps of holes in it. You need to tighten to a position that the holes are over the threaded holes for the Phillips head screws to go back in, you might need a few goes to get it perfect.

Check the wheel for slop. Spin the wheel both ways a few times and if your happy with how it spins then bolt the hub back on. Your done.

Don't forget to unlock the hubs

Happy Travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 24th December 2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (4th June 2019), Bacho86 (24th December 2016), bignev (24th December 2016), Bob (24th December 2016), BrazilianY60 (24th August 2022), Col.T (8th February 2017), Hodge (24th December 2016), Ibbo (14th June 2018), jack (24th December 2016), John43ls (6th February 2017), Mc4by (24th December 2016), my third 256 (11th February 2017), OuchOne (11th May 2022), PeeBee (6th February 2017), threedogs (26th March 2017), Touses (7th February 2017), Wine_maker (31st January 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Write Up . How about making it a Sticky

@mudrunner

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th December 2016), Touses (7th February 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never done this my self. But this is the most detailed photo guide I've seen. Will definitely have a crack now. Thanks Dazza !
    2005 TD42TI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th December 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent step-by-step photos. I feel like I've already done it! Thanks heaps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John43ls For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one Muddy.
    Works for me. Just a minor quibble though. As I was taught how to grease wheel bearings, at the end of re-assembly, 1) tighten up to a specified max., 2) turn the wheel several times both directions to ensure all is correctly 'seated' then 3) release to zero torque and spin several times again then 4) finally tighten up to effectively finger tight.

The torsion wrench settings I think that suite the Patrol (GU and GQ are close enough) are 1) about 185 N.m.....(and this is a pretty big time twist and 4) 4N.m ...not much more than finger tight.
    Roughly 60+ years have made me a creature of habit and anyway, I spent dough on a torsion wrench and I'm gonna get value out if it!!!
    Cheers,
    Col

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Col.T For This Useful Post:

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up. Playing with fire with one of those screws though, not much for the screw driver to grab :P

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Nice write up. Playing with fire with one of those screws though, not much for the screw driver to grab :P
    Lol! Yes your right they have seen better days. I have undone them a few time now but from memory I did that damage the first time I had to undo them 150,000 kms ago.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.T View Post
    Good one Muddy.
    Works for me. Just a minor quibble though. As I was taught how to grease wheel bearings, at the end of re-assembly, 1) tighten up to a specified max., 2) turn the wheel several times both directions to ensure all is correctly 'seated' then 3) release to zero torque and spin several times again then 4) finally tighten up to effectively finger tight.

The torsion wrench settings I think that suite the Patrol (GU and GQ are close enough) are 1) about 185 N.m.....(and this is a pretty big time twist and 4) 4N.m ...not much more than finger tight.
    Roughly 60+ years have made me a creature of habit and anyway, I spent dough on a torsion wrench and I'm gonna get value out if it!!!
    Cheers,
    Col
    Yeah all your torque measurements are correct although good luck with the 185nm! It's bloody tight and I wrecked one of those wrench sockets trying to achieve it.

This write up was more aimed and a routine maintenance when servicing. Check for slop, if loose you can nip them up in 5 minutes without worrying about the torque settings.

If you have just replaced the bearings then it's a much bigger task and as you say you need to apply the routine you have clearly outlined so thanks for the add mate. Winner.

I have found Patrol front wheel bearings have a tendancy to become a little sloppy and need a nip up a couple of times a year. An inspection and repacking is probably in order next time for sure.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 11th February 2017 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I did the GQ I removed the wheel , where were you ?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been out and checked mine and were a little sloppy so 10 minutes later all fixed thanks for the write up
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 11th February 2017 at 05:55 PM.
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (24th August 2022), MudRunnerTD (11th February 2017)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast