Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ rear wheel bearing problem.

Hello, 88 Safari. rear discs.

The issue I am having is the bearing I ordered seem to be a fraction to small in Inside Diametre. The axle is 45mm. The bearing ID is 44.8-44.9 which indicates a interference pattern. This is confirmed as the cones (as its the big bearing with 2 cones) dont wiggle over the axle and need to be "pressed" on. I called nissan and an OEM ID is 45.7 which would confirm the need for clearance. In my experience with other vihcles the cones should always slip on with a bit of a wiggle.

Has any one had any expeirence with this as pressing them on means I am not able to set the load via the nut. as I had to put a hell of alot of pressure to get one of the cones half way down before I remoced it agian

Thanks Heaps

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The work shop manual says this about install.

"Install spacer over axle shaft and press axle shaft into inner
    race of wheel bearing."

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok some more research from my end. the "torque setting" on the lock nut is at 490nm. using the torque force design equation for a lubricated surface come out to a clamping force of 15299.497471815277 lbs. which would explain the need to press the inner bearings in. But that seems like a massive clamping force and torque setting as my hilux only takes 35nm for bearing preload. So I have decided to clean the bearings up and just press them in and give it a go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Negz View Post
    Hello, 88 Safari. rear discs.

The issue I am having is the bearing I ordered seem to be a fraction to small in Inside Diametre. The axle is 45mm. The bearing ID is 44.8-44.9 which indicates a interference pattern. This is confirmed as the cones (as its the big bearing with 2 cones) dont wiggle over the axle and need to be "pressed" on. I called nissan and an OEM ID is 45.7 which would confirm the need for clearance. In my experience with other vihcles the cones should always slip on with a bit of a wiggle.

Has any one had any expeirence with this as pressing them on means I am not able to set the load via the nut. as I had to put a hell of alot of pressure to get one of the cones half way down before I remoced it agian

Thanks Heaps
    If you're talking about the rear semi float axle/hub bearing, it needs to be pressed.
    You need a special kinda tool to undo and put the bearing nut back in & set the preload.
    There's a DIY thread on this job.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...wheel+bearings
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach