Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ TD42 Picked up today

G'day all,

This is my first Patrol. Although most of my previous experience driving 4WDs was with Troopies, I was attracted to the reliable reputation of both the TD42 motor and gearbox. It is from 1994 and has 371000km on the clock. Being a local Alice Springs vehicle there is very little surface rust.

I am sure it will serve my needs well.

Unfortunately there is no features I can share with the community. This DX model has not many modifications to speak of. Only the addition of a long range tank (no complaints there). This helped when I negotiated the price down from 8k to 6.5k, and offers a nice clean slate for my own desires for the truck. Any suggestions in this regard by forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    DQ

IMG_0533.JPGIMG_0534.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0536.JPG

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Qlder For This Useful Post:

AB (21st December 2016), Cuppa (21st December 2016), gubigfish (22nd December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one issue with this vehicle, and I am interested in members thoughts.

The third party mechanic that I took it too identified a crack on one of the extractors. It appears as if there has been attempt to patch this, but it has not been properly welded.

A muffler guy in town believes it should be able to be welded, without the need for a complete exhaust manifold replacement.

This will be the first job for this truck. Hopefully you can see the issue in these photos:

IMG_0531.JPGIMG_0532.JPG

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add there is no leak at present, but obviously presents a problem down the track. When I raised this issue with the dealer, he offered to fix it himself or drop the price by $300.

I took the second option based on advice from the muffler guy. I think I would prefer him to do the job as it is their specialty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the rules are in NT but in WA you get a statutory 3 month warranty when you buy from a dealer, so if you identify any issues you can take it back and they have to fix it. That's not to say they won't try and do it on the cheap but if you can avoid spending your cash straight away why not try it.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar