Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damo's Family Lap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damo's Family Lap

After having our rural property near Singleton NSW on the market for a month or so we accepted an offer and started considering our options for suburban Hunter Valley living. Nothing really excited us, and we quickly realised we’d have nowhere to go soon. A plan was hatched over a few beverages one weekend and before we knew it my long service leave was approved, the wife’s notice was given. We were about to live the dream. Pack up everything and follow the sun throughout this wonderful country of ours for the next 5 and a bit months. Why not……. No mortgage, no debt, reliable income, no dramas. The ordeal of packing a whole house and a 20m x 10m shed full of 9 years of accumulated bargains began to take hold, and the never ending list of jobs to do to the Patrol quickly overwhelmed and took priority over packing anything. After all, the Patrol would be our life blood of the trip, the key to a successful journey, and possibly a lifesaver in some of the remote areas I was constantly daydreaming of.

I decided to compile a list of necessities the big patrol would need. The list of works blew me away. I had pages and pages scribbled in my pocket notebook and quickly came to the realisation of the cost of me being a bit of a slack arse for last couple of years with house extensions and reno’s taking priority over mods to the big rig, as well as the reality of approaching 10 years old. I admit to being a little over the top but it’s in my nature and being an ex-mechanic, I was going to ensure I done what I could.

Over the next 4 weeks I burnt many many hours in the shed stripping and rebuilding, modifying, installing and repairing everything I could think of. More details of this is in my build page for anyone who may be interested. Meanwhile the misses packed the whole house into boxes, sorted out the kids school, and dealt with the sale of a hell of a lot of unwanted goods, including our farm animals. I then packed the entire shed and moved everything we own into storage. The relief when we drove out the driveway for the last time was unexplainable, despite it being 4pm!!! LOL It was on 14th Sept 2016.

We were on our way!!! Homeless and debt free. We dropped off the dog to a friends, the cat and wife’s car to her Aunties and headed north. We got to Heatherbrae for a quick KFC dinner and continued on, keen to get anywhere for a free camp. We showered at Taree service centre and continued on to Kew for our first night, a free camp behind a pub in a big gravel carpark. We slept like babies that night!

GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Rip'n'Shred For This Useful Post:

AB (16th December 2016), Avo (16th December 2016), Bigcol (18th December 2016), Clunk (16th December 2016), DX grunt (17th December 2016), gaddy (15th December 2016), gubigfish (16th December 2016), MB (15th December 2016), mudnut (17th December 2016), MudRunnerTD (17th December 2016), mudski (16th December 2016), NissanGQ4.2 (17th December 2016), Stropp (15th December 2016), TPC (15th December 2016), Woof (16th December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be continued
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rip'n'Shred For This Useful Post:

MB (15th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,943 Times in 3,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your choice of beer but whats with the trailer full of it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    I like your choice of beer but whats with the trailer full of it?
    Lol. Homebrew collection. Safe is a secret storage location for when I return. Should age well.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first morning on the road!

Over next few days we done the boring but essential travel through Nth NSW, a Big Banana stop at Coffs Harbour visit family near Tweed Heads on the NSW QLD border, had a very early start the next morning to beat the Brisbane traffic, a great free camp at Calliope, 100km South of Rockhampton. Then a free camp out back of a pub at Bakers Creek, just south of Mackay, another family visit in Ayr, about 100km south of Townsville.

Free camp Calliope QLD

Still yet to pay for accomodation after 4 nights.

We had previously decided that Townsville would be the “real” start of our holiday trip. So the next day we had the huge 1hr drive north. Done all the touristy things there and had the patrol dyno tuned and new front brake pads fitted. The next day when we left Townsville, I smelt coolant within about 15 minutes. I found coolant leaking onto passenger footwell so we high tailed it back into Townsville and booked into another caravan park where I stripped the dash to remove the leaking heater core, replaced it and the radiator with new Natrad parts and set off 2 days and $500 later northbound for Cairns.

We then managed to get a site at arguably the best caravan park in Oz for kids, The Coconut Resort in Cairns. We hadn’t realised that it was QLD school holidays but fortunately there was 2 sites available. The kids had the time of their lives there and we highly recommend the place to anyone with kids!
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rip'n'Shred For This Useful Post:

AB (16th December 2016), Bigcol (18th December 2016), Clunk (16th December 2016), Cuppa (17th December 2016), gubigfish (16th December 2016), MB (16th December 2016), Rossco (16th December 2016), Stropp (16th December 2016), Touses (16th December 2016), TPC (16th December 2016), Woof (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome, enjoy you lucky buggers. If you need somewhere to store that trailer i can look after it for you . . .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it wouldnt be a good trip without dramas would it.
    Sounds like fun...enjoy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a few days in kid heaven, we only went just north of Cairns to Palm Cove. We had a couple of nights there across from beach, and had a run in with a french backpacker who apparently mistaken our camper trailer for his camper van late at night, full of red wine. He's lucky my misses intervened!

Anyway we done a day trip to Hartleys Crocodile Park. We all really enjoyed it a lot. Lots of big crocs, very educated staff, and we especially liked the boat ride around the man made lagoon full of salties! Gives you a new perspective being near eye level with these prehistoric power houses.

We stocked up on supplies and headed north, had a look at Port Douglas and very quickly departed again. Obviously setup for the wealthy, not camping families lol.

Pushed on to Mossman Gorge for a swim and to relax for a couple of hours. I was a little shocked and annoyed at the setup of the place. You pull up at a carpark, go into an elaborate visitor centre trying to sell you everything, pay around $25 for the family to hop onto a mini bus that drives you 2km up the same road, past a indigenous community, to the gorge where you get out and walk the rest of the way along a boardwalk. Anyway it's a beautiful place depite this and the 1000 people there.

Mossman Gorge

Mossman Gorge

Afterward we continued north, crossed the Daintree River on the ferry onwards to PK's Jungle Village at Cape Tribulation for a couple of nights. Great place run by backpackers. Had a couple of jugs of beer for happy hour at the bar as the kids enjoyed the pool and then some great pizza for dinner. We decided for a treat we would go snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef as its very close to the beach, about 20 min boat ride straight off the beach. It was a simply amazing experience. We all loved it and the kids surprised us at how well they snorkelled.

Ferry across Daintree River

Snorkelling location

Tomorrow we tackle the Bloomfield Track!
    Last edited by Rip'n'Shred; 17th December 2016 at 12:20 PM.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rip'n'Shred For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (17th December 2016), AB (19th December 2016), Bigcol (18th December 2016), Clunk (19th December 2016), gubigfish (17th December 2016), mudnut (17th December 2016), MudRunnerTD (17th December 2016), Rossco (18th December 2016), Softy (17th December 2016), Stropp (17th December 2016), TPC (17th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me make a recommendation if I’m not too late.
    I can remember seeing Mossman Gorge when it was just bush, but last time I was there there were signs & boardwalks. Sounds like it’s got worse.

Anyway if you want to experience the REAL Daintree rainforest stop before you reach the Lions Den Hotel. When you reach the tiny collection of houses which is Rossville, look for a sign pointing down a track to your right (or ask someone) which says Home Rule. Do yourself a favour & camp at Home Rule. Lovely big open grassed area surrounded by Daintree forest. Has facilities, & is a low cost camp. Next to where you camp are several large dams (ex fish farm) where you can swim, but better still, (*much better*) is if you take the ¾ hour walk up the path through the rainforest to the falls where you can swim in a truly magic spot. And you get to experience the rainforest without all the commercial bullish*t & boardwalks. If you miss it on the way up you can go on the way back down. They have a music festival there once each year, & all of Cooktown & half of Cairns go. We lucked out to be there at the right time.

DSC07277.JPG.jpgDSC07270.jpgDSC07260.jpgDSC07244.JPG.jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (18th December 2016), mudnut (19th December 2016), Rip'n'Shred (18th December 2016), Rossco (18th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Cuppa that's beautiful! Unfortunately we are a long way from there now and doing a lap, but will remember that one for next time. Thanks for sharing the spot!
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast