OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cummins diesel from an Dodge pickup in a 2000 model Patrol?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins diesel from an Dodge pickup in a 2000 model Patrol?

Has anyone done a conversion, putting a Cummings diesel engine in a diesel Patrol?
    His Patrol has broken down ZD30 motor and has been offered a Cummings powered pickup for cheap and is thinking about putting that motor in.

Anyone thinks this a good idea?
    Last edited by YNOT; 2nd June 2011 at 07:32 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen photos somewhere of someone in Australia who has done a Cummins conversion but I don't have any details of how it was done. One thing I do remember reading is that the Cummins is considerably heavier than any of the Patrol engines so you will need heavy duty springs to compensate.
    I think dropping the Cummins engine in is a great idea and would really like to see a build up thread if you go ahead with it.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think dropping the Cummins engine in is a great idea and would really like to see a build up thread if you go ahead with it.

Tony[/QUOTE]

X2

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have done the 24 valve 6bt 2001 Cummins install but not in a Patrol. I am 57 years old and was feed up with all the junk engines. I have owned a WB Holden Overlander for about 20 years and with the Cummins sitting in there now could not be more happy. These things are all grunt run really cool, not like the 6.5 chev I had. Dial up 125hp on top of what you have stock while you drive down the road.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rotory26 For This Useful Post:

PMC (31st August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday mate welcome aboard! The overlanders origionally came with a 308ci didnt they?? That sounds like it'd be a very tuff ol holden mate

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotory26 View Post
    Yes I have done the 24 valve 6bt 2001 Cummins install but not in a Patrol. I am 57 years old and was feed up with all the junk engines. I have owned a WB Holden Overlander for about 20 years and with the Cummins sitting in there now could not be more happy. These things are all grunt run really cool, not like the 6.5 chev I had. Dial up 125hp on top of what you have stock while you drive down the road.
    Welcome to the forum. Photo's please...........

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Arther Hayward from Tassy built them and thats were I bought all the running gear. Re Engines, I had 400 s/b first, no good. Hungry on fuel. 327 s/b lived in the van for most of the original vans life. The first WB had its time so I was able to find a nice, one owner, no rust. Put a 6.5 chev diesel in it, but no guts and run hot unless you know a few tricks and then 250h/p cranks on the ground. Towed back from SharkBay one year and that was enough. So vp44 pumped 2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel 235 hp 2800rpm 460 F/P at 1600 standed. Went with Edge tuner extra 120 h/p and 300 F/P over and above standed. NV 4500 5 Speed Lomax 205 3/1 transfer case 14 bolt 3.42 chev diff, ARB locker, exhaust brake, snow water/meth injection, and 8 piston SSBC front calipers. Ha Tony send me your mobile # and i will send you some photos. Are yes and 260 litres of fuel.
    Last edited by rotory26; 1st June 2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: misted some stuff

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rotory26 For This Useful Post:

PMC (31st August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotory26 View Post
    Yes, Arther Hayward from Tassy built them and thats were I bought all the running gear. Re Engines, I had 400 s/b first, no good. Hungry on fuel. 327 s/b lived in the van for most of the original vans life. The first WB had its time so I was able to find a nice, one owner, no rust. Put a 6.5 chev diesel in it, but no guts and run hot unless you know a few tricks and then 250h/p cranks on the ground. Towed back from SharkBay one year and that was enough. So vp44 pumped 2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel 235 hp 2800rpm 460 F/P at 1600 standed. Went with Edge tuner extra 120 h/p and 300 F/P over and above standed. NV 4500 5 Speed Lomax 205 3/1 transfer case 14 bolt 3.42 chev diff, ARB locker, exhaust brake, snow water/meth injection, and 8 piston SSBC front calipers. Ha Tony send me your mobile # and i will send you some photos. Are yes and 260 litres of fuel.
    Can ya chuck some happy snaps up here for us to check out........please

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Can ya chuck some happy snaps up here for us to check out........please
    Exactly. I'm sure there's a lot of people would like to see those photo's.
    How did you go with the weight of the Cummins diesel?

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One problem, I have been able to get the photos to photo bucket but thats as far as I got. LOL. That is why I asked for your mobile or if you want send me your email address re private messages, and I will send them there. Front springs were HJ75 standed leaf springs. Engine weights 1000 lbs and with the ride hight i need works good.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast