Thread: SA to WA - What to see?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SA to WA - What to see?

Hi All,

I'm visiting an old mate in Perth area and planning a trip over there in mid June.

I'm happy to take my time and see the sites and looking for any hot spots to see along the way.

Looking forward to hitting the Nullabor Desert, really hoping I don't break down but I'm pretty excited.

Anyone know of any good spots to visit along the way?

Appreciate any feedback and help.

Regards:

Sam.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't give you any advice on what to see along the way as the Nullabor is straight, straight and more straight but I can give you some advice.

Take a ship load of lollies, games, music, company, beer (if someone else is driving) petrol, food and whatever can keep you busy as It's a long haul.

Last time i did the Nullabor (many years ago) I had used a gameboy which was placed on the steering wheel and only looked up at the road every 30 seconds to make sure i was in the middle of the road (i don't condone this!).... It's dead straight for a long time so stay awake and keep busy!

Good experience though...Few have done it so enjoy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andy, yes i have another mate in the car too so we'll just take turns which shoudl break it up a bit!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Sam, I've done the Nullabor trip 3 times and my advice is to go to one of the Visitors Info Centres before the Nullabor and get one of the Crossing the Nullabor guides, they are great.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea thanks Dogman!

It's amazing the trips you go on and drive miles to get there but probably miss out on so many great sites along the way.

Thanks, good tip!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Patrolling, that's so true.

I remember back in the days when my old man took us to Ayers Rock and the Kimberley's, etc.

From Melbourne we pretty much drove straight there, only stopping to sleep and then back on the road again.

We used to travel up there every Christmas for years and we never stopped to see anything along the way.

Looking back now we would have missed out on so many places to see!

Sometimes the best vacation is an unplanned one!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sam.
    Apparently the Great Australian Bight is very picturesque. You can get plenty of info on the web too.
    Google ...... Goldfields, Esperance, Central Wheatbelt, Great Southern, South West and RACWA. You've got a couple of options to get to Perth once you get to WA. You can either go Norseman to Coolgardie, and head west along Great Eastern Highway and that'll take you straight thru to Perth, or you can turn left at Norseman and go down to Esperance and down around the bottom.
    There's plenty of free maps. RACWA have a trip planner on their website. Check it out.

I don't think you'll get too much change out of $2 a litre around the Nullabour area from what I've heard. Many small towns' shops close at midday Saturday and don't open up till Monday.
    Most roadhouses on the highway do pretty good hours. Google in 24hr service stations in WA and see what it comes up with.

You'll love the west. I left home in Victoria in 1976 ..... and the rest is history.........

Like Andy says... take plenty of CD's across the nullabour...... Google in the ABC and see what AM or FM channel comes up. Or just leave your unit in search mode and eventually it'll find a channel.

Most of the land is pretty green and you'll see lots of farmers going round and round or up and down on their tractors. Bring some warm clothes too. If you're driving at night, be careful, there's lotsa emu's, kangaroos and other 'things' out there either on or very close to the road.

You never know. We might convince you to stay here !

Take care and enjoy your trip.

Ross
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, cheers mate for the detailed response.

Ill check out RACWA for sure.

Yeah ive heard the petrol isnt the cheapest around, stock up in town and go for it i say...

Might convince me to stay there...haha...You never know!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great wa website for wisdom is www.mainroads.wa.gov.au

Take care out there.

Ross
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very handy site, thanks for the link Ross.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast