Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Body Lift and Tyre question - NSW

Hi all, sorry if this has already been posted before

But can someone enlighten me on 2 inch body lift legalities in NSW, I was under the impression body lifts were illegal but have just been reading NCOP11 that states the below.

"Body blocks between the vehicle body and the chassis must comply with the following:

The material must be of similar strength and durability as the original components;

All assemblies and piping that spans between the body and the chassis must be
    suitable for the increased distance; and

The increase in height due to body block modifications alone is limited to 50mm."

Also are 285 / 75 /R16 tyres with the 50mm body lift legal without certification???

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are all the knowledgeable NSW guys............................................

Answer: They probably moved 2 VIC!!!!!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Hi all, sorry if this has already been posted before

But can someone enlighten me on 2 inch body lift legalities in NSW, I was under the impression body lifts were illegal but have just been reading NCOP11 that states the below.

"Body blocks between the vehicle body and the chassis must comply with the following:

The material must be of similar strength and durability as the original components;

All assemblies and piping that spans between the body and the chassis must be
    suitable for the increased distance; and

The increase in height due to body block modifications alone is limited to 50mm."

Also are 285 / 75 /R16 tyres with the 50mm body lift legal without certification???

Cheers

Toddie
    Looks like a change is on the way regarding lifts. Might help you out.

https://mr4x4.com.au/4x4-suspension-lift-laws-changed/
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Looks like a change is on the way regarding lifts. Might help you out.

https://mr4x4.com.au/4x4-suspension-lift-laws-changed/
    Yeh I had a quick read of that a few days ago but don't think it mentions body lifts, better re read it, thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i get time tomorrow i'll try to find the rule book.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Yeh I had a quick read of that a few days ago but don't think it mentions body lifts, better re read it, thanks
    Done a bit of research, still a bit confusing on Body Lifts though as it does not specify how much lift you are allowed.

From Vehicle Standards Information No. 6 - Light Vehicle Modification - http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf

You will need an engineers report if:

BODY AND CHASSIS
    Item 33 - Fitting of body mountings, a body lift kit or mounting points other than those designed by the vehicle manufacturer.

Example not requiring certification:
    • Fitting optional body lift kits or mountings that are designed for that make and model
    of vehicle and meet or exceed manufacturer’s specifications.

SUSPENSION
    Item 9 - Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change.

WHEELS AND TYRES

Item 13 - Replacement of tyres that change tyre overall diameter by more than 7% of the overall original diameter*.

* ’overall original diameter’ means the maximum outside diameter of the largest tyre specified by the vehicle’s original manufacturer as an option for the vehicle, as shown
    on the vehicle’s tyre placard.

Item 14 - Replacement of wheels where the rim width exceeds the largest wheel combination specified by the manufacturer by greater than 25 mm

Item 15 - Replacement of wheels and tyres where the wheel and tyre combination does not comply with the manufacturer’s minimum load carrying capacity specifications.

Vehicle Standards Information No. 9 - Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres - http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-09-rev4.pdf

I`m still in the dark as to what you can legally do. A mate talked to an engineer 4 years ago about what mods you could do & was told 2x2x2.

2 inch body lift, 2 inch suspension lift, 2 inch increase in tyre size.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post

I`m still in the dark as to what you can legally do. A mate talked to an engineer 4 years ago about what mods you could do & was told 2x2x2.

2 inch body lift, 2 inch suspension lift, 2 inch increase in tyre size.
    Be aware that a lot has changed in those 4 years. Too. I was not that long ago that we could legally run an engineered 6inch lift and 35's or larger. The latest law stopped all this. And the latest I was told by the engineer who did my car is now induction. My big CC Ultimate top mount cooler, and full 4inch snorkel and Fatz air box in now not allowed. It can only be the intercooler, or the snorkel. Not both.

The new NSW laws are now the same as Vic laws. 75mm total. I am pretty sure the suspension lift regs does include body lift. So you can go either 2inch on the body and no suspension or 2inch suspension and no body lift, or a combo of the two two a total of 50mm. Pretty sure thats how it works.

Pages 70 -74 is where you want to look
    https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...ov_2015_v4.pdf
    Last edited by mudski; 9th December 2016 at 12:18 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (9th December 2016), VK2FMIA (9th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Pages 70 -74 is where you want to look
    https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...ov_2015_v4.pdf
    Thanks for the link Mudski, have had a read & still none the wiser as to what you can do. On page 6 it says:

1.1 BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION

The following modifications may be performed without certification if they are carried out in
    accordance with sub-section 2 General Requirements and the total change in vehicle height
    resulting from all modifications performed, does not exceed 50mm.

 Tyre and rim substitution carried out within the limits specified in this Section;
     Lowering and raising suspensions (by not more than one third of the original
    suspension travel provided the original vehicle height is not increased or decreased by
    more than 50mm)

 Raising the vehicle with a body lift kit provided the original vehicle height is not
    increased by more than 50mm
    (refer to sub-section 4.11 for conditions and limitations);

As i read it you can only raise the whole vehicle height by 50mm without certification.

Maybe the 2x2x2 that my mate was talking about was 2 or 2 or 2.