Thread: GQ TB42 losing water

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ TB42 losing water

hi im new to the forum and im hoping someone could help me out, ive got a tb42 and went for a drive today and noticed when i pulled up water was dropping underneith the car.
    From what i can see it looks to be leaking from just underneith the thermostat housing but i cant get in there to have a good look, would i be right in assuming the housing and inlet manifold are one piece? is there common known problems for around this area? it just looks like a pain in the sphinkter spot to get to. ill try and get some pics of it leaking as soon as i get back home

15032925_10154644739324804_1292567649500879135_n.jpg15253458_10154705922174804_368729409482562825_n.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I remember, the thermostat housing is 2 parts. Top half which the large inlet pipe attaches to, can corrode.
    I'd say pop your bonnet and run the engine see where its coming from..... when my top housing went, I just clamped the hose down with 2 clamps to get me out of poop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also Every possibility that one of the small gaskets could have gone

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
    Small leak can turn into a sudden gush very quickly.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
    Small leak can turn into a sudden gush very quickly.
    The problem when this occurs is that the temperature gauge will often read ’normal’, or even low because it’s sensor is no longer surrounded by coolant. Having had this occur in our previous vehicle I chose when I bought the Patrol to fit a low coolant alarm. If no coolant around the sensor (mounted up high) a red light is illuminated & a horrible buzzer screams at you. ...... in time to push the clutch in & turn off the ignition before the motor seizes up.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dom14 (11th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good chance its the small P shaped hose that runs from the bottom of the thermostat housing to the top of the water pump

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help guys, I finally got stuck into and pulled off a thin pipe that is bolted to the bottom of the housing (pain to get to!) And runs to a hose alone side the block. Has a tiny littlet hole that I'm assuming is from corrosion. I've ordered the new part and went looking at a few other things, found a fair amount of rust build up on top thermostat housing/thermostat and hoses. She never over heated but looks like new hoses and a few flushes will be getting done. I don't think she's had coolant for a long time (only purchased it a month ago) can anyone tell me what coolant I should run and the capacity of the system? I've never bothered with coolant in my cars but now I don't think I'll ever go without.
    Snapchat-49552680.jpg
    Snapchat-1696878206.jpg
    Snapchat-1214466889.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    good chance its the small P shaped hose that runs from the bottom of the thermostat housing to the top of the water pump
    Forgot about that one..... thats in a stupid spot too lol