Thread: Canopy/no canopy fuel comparison

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canopy/no canopy fuel comparison

Hey fellas i have been running a canopy for years and recently got a new one made up but removable, anyway i have spent the last week as a ute and just filled up and after 700ks averaged 14l per 100 however for year's with the canopy i can't get below 15.5l per 100, is it a coincidence or can it really be that much of a difference anyone else compared? Having just spent $2250 on a new canopy and frame by no means am i going to run without it to save a few $$$ was just quite suprised. Its a gq ute td42 with extractors exhaust etc various driving city country and beach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at your canopy mate. It don't look very aerodynamical. That would drag the car down . It's like consistently driving into head wind.
    When I put a canopy of my navara, even though the canopy was very streamlined and had the width and height of the cab, I still lost fuel economy.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of my driving is into the wind, with a bit of gear in the ally pod, so I just pay the fuel bill. lol.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My canopy extends beyond the sides & top of the cab, plus has solar panels mounted on top. I average just over 16kms per litre.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (7th December 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be thinner air in Ballarat !!! have a good break .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that when I took my old chassis mounted canopy off and put an aluminium tray on I have got another 100-200 kms out of my tanks

I think it also has a lot to do with all the weight I had in my old canopy

Now I have a slide on camper I notice that when the camper is on it does use more fuel

Also when I took my chassis mount canopy off and put the tray on my rego costs went down a couple hundred per year as my tare weight was lower
    NEVER USE A SNATCH STRAP ON A TOW BALL AS DEATH MAY RESULT

GU 2005 Cab Chassis Ex Telstra POD, Set up for Remote Touring and Play