Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First prototype guys!

Got to sort the seal and goretex valve install now and then smash it around a bit.

Prototype 1 by Ben Kincade,
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (2nd July 2017), DX grunt (2nd October 2017), gubigfish (2nd July 2017), MB (2nd July 2017), NissanGQ4.2 (2nd July 2017), the evil twin (2nd July 2017), threedogs (2nd July 2017), Touses (2nd July 2017), TPC (2nd July 2017), Winnie (2nd July 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo! Well done & it looks just as good as the virtual ones! Quite an achievement. Fingers crossed that testing goes well.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That looks awesome! I hope it works and lasts as good as it looks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you I have been looking at space cases to fit one or 2 to the roof rack because they are a good size. I don't want something too tall. I think your sizing is bang on. Will wait to see you product before making a purchase. Nice work.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (3rd July 2017)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to do some real torture testing first and then refine a little more I suspect. Coming together though.

Thanks for the support guys.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have you got a pic of the underside? is it smooth so it can be dragged across surfaces or ribbed and must be lifted?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Underside will fit the lid ridges to assist with stacking. There are some vague sketches around here somewhere to later play with a wheeled version but at this stage it looks like the below.

If you mean for dragging it across the top of another box, then we've put in two lengthways ribs to help that go smoothly.

Underside by Ben Kincade,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. Yeah I have found with the cheap tubs that the ribs can catch and grab in carpet and rough surfaces and break off. The cheap ones with wheels also don't last well with wheels ripping off.

Surfaces that it might get dragged across would be checkerplate in the bottoms of the camper trailer, carpet on top of the rear drawers in the GU, carpet on the floor at home, concrete driveway. Roof rack mesh.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (4th July 2017)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, day one of torture testing and we busted a hinge-pin! Back to the drawing board on the hinge for a bit then try again.

Still, happy with a lot of the other features and it is a nice smooth interior like we wanted. The grips also are nice and comfortable and the latches work great, so not all bad news. Just a bit more work to do yet.

Expedition Box 2 by Ben Kincade,

Expedition Box 1 by Ben Kincade,

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (11th July 2017), MudRunnerTD (11th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks great.

2 questions.

1. Is the lid strong enough to sit on or stand on?

2. Are the latches or the lid lockable with a padlock or something?

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast