Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the 'expedition' box - looking for ideas and input

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to find decent tubs with straight sides with no taper and no rim around the top, if needed put the rim on the inside of the box!! Kills me how much space is waisted using the tuba from bunnings.

This pic from Cuppa is a classic example. Those tubs are what is available and they are tapered to allow them to stack inside each other but make them bloody wasteful when used and packed side by side or as drawers.

If anyone comes across decent tubs let me know. Keen as. Prefer with lids.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I use and still do sometime use a galley trolley from an aircraft [dont ask].
    It will house all my cooking gear and a bit of tin food ,coffee etc had handles each end
    you could sit on it ,use it as a table. I made partitons for different bits and pieces alway
    had comments made about it. and its lockable about 3ft long x one foot wide and about 18in high
    still got it and love it.
    Had lift out sections water and dust proof. Fits inside my camper to so thats a plus
    MINE IS MADE FROM TWO SHEETS OF ALLOY WITH HONEYCOMB IN THE MIDDLE
    JUST FINISHED IT WITH ALLOY ANGLE IRON, very very light, I also have roadie boxes
    Ive found cheap on Ebay ,new they are upwards of $500 scored mine for $50'
    I too hate drawers with a passion just useless for the way I camp.
    Keep looking on Ebay Ive even brought some great timber suit cases. partition it off
    and bingo another storage item, Write whats inside and a piece of paper and place
    it inside a zip lock bag. Been using this system for years and years.
    Yes did the drawer thing but thought things could be better for the way I travel [light]
    Even had some marine ply storage boxes made for different items, and they all stack
    neatly all together on my shelving. Simple want to go just grab the 4-5 boxes and away you go.
    All are waterproof as well, there was a mob down Mordiallic Vic SCS I think that sold
    bolt in systems you could unbolt when not in use. Best Idea even among others Id seen.
    flip down fridge handles maybe a bit more thought in packing could of saved you $1500
    Gee thats nearly an E-Locker lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 3rd June 2017 at 06:49 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, apologies for no updates recently. Been absent due to declining health and eventual passing of my Dad. Starting to get back on track now though.

We've finalised the design of the first box at 55 litres (578mmx440mmx342mm). We've got a plan to design a series of box sizes now that compete with the Space Cases and Tuff boxes etc. but that actually seal properly, have no metal parts, are designed for the 4wd, camping and quad bike market primarily, but also the marine industry etc. We also want to price these realistically and think we can do this.

Its been a steep learning curve for sure and we have had some fantastic support from the likes of Brad McCarthy from MaxTrax and Michael McMillan from Australian Expedition Vehicles amongst others. Yes, it does have tapered sides and an outside lip but this is necessary for Injection Moulding to work properly. Tapering the sides was a big decision to make, but a vertical sided box with the lip on the outside would also 'waste' that space in between boxes. It's all a compromise. Tapering brought significant cost savings too. Mostly in freight because the boxes will 'nest' when stacked in towers on a pallet or when empty and stacked in the side of the shed at home. We did however keep the taper absolutely minimised and put a step in it for strength and to keep the sides as vertical as possible but still smooth for easy wiping out.

The lids come off and will also stack nicely on top of each other. The box is also lockable with three different size padlocks in two places.

PastedGraphic-16 by Ben Kincade,

PastedGraphic-15 by Ben Kincade,

PastedGraphic-18 by Ben Kincade,

The grip area on the ends of the box has been loaded with ribs to prevent fingers jamming and also to add strength to the lip.

You can also see the tie-down points on each corner. These are for turn-buckles or ropes. They are 12mm wide, reinforced and rounded off so ropes won't wear on square edges. Using these points means you can access the box contents without having to undo ratchet straps, another reason for the lip on the outside.

The lid profile also retains ratchet straps in place in the grooves, as well as facilitates stacking of other boxes so they won't move around.

If anyone has any further suggestions I am all ears. We are getting really keen to bust out a prototype and test it all.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (2nd June 2017), gubigfish (2nd June 2017), MB (25th February 2018), MudRunnerTD (2nd July 2017), Touses (2nd June 2017), TPC (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you foresee them being stacked?

I have been looking for a decent set of boxes (forever) so that I'm always packed just have to put them in the car but any decent strength one I can find don't really stack

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ridges on the underside of these boxes match up with ridges on the lids so they won't move around. The quality of this image is poor sorry. I'll have to find a couple of other pics later but it will sort of look like this. Disregard the height of this stack. We were playing around with pallet dimensions.

Screenshot 2017-05-31 19.24.07 by Ben Kincade,
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Jimmyboyjr4 (2nd June 2017), Touses (2nd June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FNQGU liking these a lot bloke! In the market for half a dozen at the mo'.
    How far off do you think they may be?
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (3rd June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thats very awesome!
    Looking forward to seeing how these fit in the back of the GQ!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmyboyjr4 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (3rd June 2017)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say how far off we are from production. Monday we order the first prototype to ensure it all works properly. Then probably a second prototype with any minor refinements and to ensure the nesting all works as it should. After that is the big financial decision to pay for the production of the injection moulds. Not a cheap exercise at all so we are tryng hard to make sure it is all worth it and the features etc. all work. Once we have the moulds we'll knock out about twenty or so in a variety of material variations and go smash them on some big trips and torture tests to select a final material. After that, we'll take a pallet load to the shows and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback, it is all very welcome. Either positive or negative.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

FNqGu04 (8th August 2017), MudRunnerTD (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be keen on a couple of these pending final size and price. At the moment I use a couple of very cheap containers from kmart and replace them every few months.
    Great for keeping them packed all the time so you can chuck them in the car at the last minute for spontaneous camping tricks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (3rd June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    great idea partions ,,smash proof, sit on them use as a table winner,, winner,, chicken dinner
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast