Thread: Building the 'expedition' box - looking for ideas and input

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of an update - our final prototype has arrived (after much stuffing around), and we'll be aiming to put it through some real-world tests over the coming weeks. Planning a bush trip as soon as I get home from work. Testing seals, tie-down points and how they stack. Overall we are really happy with the results so far. Next step is testing various compounds in real life.

unnamed.jpg
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Clunk (10th May 2018), Cuppa (10th May 2018), jack (10th May 2018), MB (11th May 2018), Mike02Ti (10th May 2018), NissanGQ4.2 (10th May 2018), Rossco (10th May 2018), Touses (10th May 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A link to our testing results from a 4 day trip into Western Qld. All up we are pretty bloody happy with it.

https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touri...4-box-testing/

Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 25th May 2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added video link
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

AB (25th May 2018), Clunk (25th May 2018), Cuppa (26th May 2018), MB (25th May 2018), mudnut (21st October 2018), MudRunnerTD (25th May 2018), NissanGQ4.2 (25th May 2018), Touses (27th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just saw your post on FB, looks awesome mate!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Ben, hope you don't mind but I edited your post and added the video
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 25th May 2018 at 08:28 PM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries. Couldn't work out how to embed the youtube video, but the link will have to do.

Also, once I get a few of the final boxes I'd be keen to send some down AB. Maybe someone is doing a trip shortly who could give us some further real world testing and evaluation? Don't need trolls, just some reality checks as we are trying hard to make it as good as it can be and at the best value it can be. My thoughts are that there are too many super expensive products out there and we would love to make something 100% Aussie that is available at excellent value. This box is afterall just an idea from a couple of 4wdrivers wanting something better, not big business wanting profits!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    No worries. Couldn't work out how to embed the youtube video, but the link will have to do.
    Yeh I noticed you had tried and deleted, It done my head in but managed 2 embed it for you.

Man you guys have done well on this, looks top notch
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (25th May 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Todd, did I mention beers and camping were had on a river recently... We also nailed a few barra... might need to get your truck working again I reckon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (25th May 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously I would like to pay as little as possible, but I hate paying 2, 3, 4 times for the same thing.
    I am very interested in your product and will be keeping a keen eye on the pricing.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback mate. We are looking at a proper warranty on a well designed and built product that should last a bloody long time. I'm the same, I don't want to pay twice, but want a product to do the job it was designed for and last the test of time, and that is what this has been about. Our own expectations on the design phases have been extremely high and we were gobsmacked when once asked by a potential manufacturer "how long do you want this to last for? We can design that in?" Needless to say we didn't go with that mob!

We reckon we can bring it in at a very reasonable price for the boxes it ticks. As soon as we know exactly what it will be made of we will set pricing.

Appreciate the support and feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome... really, really well done.

If you can hit a good price point with the quality of that product then I reckon you're on a big winner.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (26th May 2018)

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast