Thread: Building the 'expedition' box - looking for ideas and input

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Boxes are starting to get a bit of a following. Had them at the Brissy shows and if the stars align with rosters, will make the trip to Perth in November too!

Hey guys, here's my latest half arsed attempt at a video.

Thanks to everyone for the support for this idea.

We are working on a tray to fit inside the box next, plus some snazzy custom tie-downs using a MilSpec quick release clip.
    Yeah I've seen they have a pretty large fan base on Facebook lately with some high profile fans! You guys are doing an awesome job.
    I will buy another box before our next holiday in January, very keen to see your custom tie down system though as we will be packing two on the roof. Keep us posted on those for sure!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th June 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Yeah I've seen they have a pretty large fan base on Facebook lately with some high profile fans! You guys are doing an awesome job.
    I will buy another box before our next holiday in January, very keen to see your custom tie down system though as we will be packing two on the roof. Keep us posted on those for sure!

Yeah keen to see the tie downs too. I used big Zip ties over christmas last year and they worked great.... right up until i went sand dune jumping.. i lost the box of the roof full of my recovery gear. unmarked. but i need some tie downs for sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th June 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah keen to see the tie downs too. I used big Zip ties over christmas last year and they worked great.... right up until i went sand dune jumping.. i lost the box of the roof full of my recovery gear. unmarked. but i need some tie downs for sure.
    Haha! Would have made a great ad for the box right there mate! Might have to set that one up and video it myself.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha! Would have made a great ad for the box right there mate! Might have to set that one up and video it myself.
    They may be video evidence. Lol.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th June 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I reckon we got it on drone footage... @Rossco?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th June 2019), MudRunnerTD (11th June 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surprised it hasn't already made it onto the forum.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben, any word yet on your tie down system?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate,

Yes, apologies, it has been a long time since an update. In between having to work overseas to earn a crust and doing this in our spare time, things sometimes get forgotten.

We just finished the first run of a grand total of 80 straps, hand-made mind you, in FNQ. We've gone with a 100% Aussie seatbelt webbing, which is really great kit, and a 100% NZ made quick release clip rated at 150kgs. These clips are Mil-spec and will not vibrate loose in any way. I've hung my whole weight off them and had the strap so tight it was singing in the wind, then just hit the quick release and they came off perfectly. They are a really impressive clip and the benefit is that you can't over-tighten like you can with a ratchet strap.

We can also change the steel componentry on these straps as we get feedback from users. They are probably overkill at the moment, but also work well with large as well as small roof bars. Below are two pics from my roofrack from a recent trip to Cape Flattery again. My rack is a mesh one so could hook on anywhere, but Macca was using the straps on the cross bars of his Frontrunner rack and they also worked really well.

I also used a small zip-tie to keep the tag ends nice and neat, which is great for a longer camping trip or a run around Australia, but if it was just a short trip then I would probably just tie them off with half-hitches.

The setup below has now done several thousands of klms on the roof in testing and the boxes don't budge, plus of course allow quick access in and out.

Tie down 2 by Ben Kincade, on Flickr

Tie Downs by Ben Kincade, on Flickr

Would love to hear your thoughts on them.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Clunk (21st September 2019), Cremulator (21st September 2019), MB (22nd September 2019), NissanGQ4.2 (21st September 2019), Winnie (21st September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice setup there Ben... one day, at least I have an excuse now the X-Trial has a roof rack
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (22nd September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks awesome mate just what I was hoping for really. Let me know when they are available for purchase and I'll get a couple of sets and another box.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (22nd September 2019)

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast