Thanked 12,421 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    There’s a moral in that somewhere.
    Absolutely there is.
    I've since spent a lot of time and a bit extra money fully waterproofing it and it has held up well since then (I haven't used it much though especially since we bought the camper trailer) but it would have been handy to know before the Simpson!
    That was an exceptional amount of wind and rain in Orroroo that night though which if we were closer to home I would be likely to pack up and go home if I saw that storm coming.
    The next day though the sun was out and a nice dry breeze. Our tents dried in about 5 minutes!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,759 Times in 8,579 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Absolutely there is. I've since spent a lot of time and a bit extra money fully waterproofing it and it has held up well since then (I haven't used it much though especially since we bought the camper trailer) but it would have been handy to know before the Simpson! That was an exceptional amount of wind and rain in Orroroo that night though which if we were closer to home I would be likely to pack up and go home if I saw that storm coming. The next day though the sun was out and a nice dry breeze. Our tents dried in about 5 minutes!
    Would of been a great comparison test of all sorts of tents to see which one leaked and how much that night though.

Extreme wind with sideways rain consistently pushing against the canvas for hours would test any manufacturer.

Darren, didn't you get a little bit of water in yours?

That night was pretty much the ultimate tent test!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Winnie (28th November 2016)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Dune Kimberly 9 Plus for the best part of 3 years, was a great tent with less than 5 minute setup.

Had it in torrential rain with 130km/h winds in Tassie (Conical Rocks). Could feel the wind lifting the air mattress up underneath us with us laying on it.

It never leaked, or even felt like it was going to fall/go anywhere. Probably the best tent I ever owned. Sold it a few months ago as we now have a camper and a swag, so it just doesn't get used anymore.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89gqpatrol4x4 View Post
    Default Quick set up tent for family? Does anyone have any experience with quick set up tents that don't cost $1000 plus? We're doing the cape again next year and don't want to take the camper. We could borrow another double swag but would that work for a three year old and 18 month old child? Also thinking the tent might be good for say Moreton and straddle trips as the trailer makes it quite expensive! Especially Moreton. Cheers Rob
    How many people in your family Rob and age is a huge question if no one has asked that already?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Would of been a great comparison test of all sorts of tents to see which one leaked and how much that night though.

Extreme wind with sideways rain consistently pushing against the canvas for hours would test any manufacturer.

Darren, didn't you get a little bit of water in yours?

That night was pretty much the ultimate tent test!

Nah mate the only rain that got in my OzTent was when I opened the door at 4:30am to visit you guys hold up in the laundry. That was s funny night! You guys got Smashed!!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Nah mate the only rain that got in my OzTent was when I opened the door at 4:30am to visit you guys hold up in the laundry. That was s funny night! You guys got Smashed!!!
    At Dadswells town we went to the other week was similar conditions and he had a pooftinth of water in the tent but he said it was from the old man trying to find his bed after a few reds...lol

Honestly, yes, they cost a lot!!!

But!!

If you want the quickest set up with the best quality in all conditions, it's a no brainer !

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So can you guys that have bought these tents that are 240 x 240 honestly say that there's plenty of room for a family of 4, with their bags etc?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    So can you guys that have bought these tents that are 240 x 240 honestly say that there's plenty of room for a family of 4, with their bags etc?
    In my opinion a family of 4 with kids under 10 who like hugging and are a close family, you can do it.

Luggage inside though with above would be very minimal!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    In my opinion a family of 4 with kids under 10 who like hugging and are a close family, you can do it. Luggage inside though with above would be very minimal!
    We did just Mia and LeAh and I with bags was perfect!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As yet we’ve only put our OzTent RV3 up in the garden, but are still glad we bought it. Slides nice & snugly into the compartment under the pod. It was originally intended to be our ‘downstairs living room’ when we had the rooftop tent, but now will be our accomodation when towing the Tvan isn’t desirable. The design is good but I am surprised no one has reported problems with the ripstop material used on most OzTents. When we were looking I found display models is several different shops with wear holes which made me wonder about long term durability. When the opportunity to buy a ‘never camped in’ original canvas model in as new condition at half price of a new one we snapped it up.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast