The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In cab switch for GU a/c thermo fans

Im thinking of utilising a spare switch on my dash to manully turn on the two A/C thermos to help cool the kettle when need be. I havent pulled out the wirning diagram yet. But would it be just a matter or finding the switch wire to the oem relay and bridging into this via the switch on the dash? Or would there be more to it?

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty much exactly what I did, Cobber.

I spliced into the plug wot connects to the factory sensor at the bottom of the Rad.

The Factory Thermo Fan Relay is in with the other Relays next to the battery if you want to go that way but the Sensor wires were the easiest to get at IMHO... labelled A/C Fan or somesuch IIRC

It also means the A/C portion of the operation is unaffected
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (5th November 2016), mudski (7th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about doing the same so I can keep em running with the ignition off while stopped on tracks for short stints

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    I've thought about doing the same so I can keep em running with the ignition off while stopped on tracks for short stints

Not much point as the coolant won't be circulating.

On that issue I never turn my engine off for 'short stints' if by that you mean 10 minutes or so and the engine temp is above average IE been working hard.
    When you turn the engine off the temp of the engine components skyrocket as the dynamic transfer of heat from the hot mass of the engine to the cooler mass of the coolant effectively ceases.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Not much point as the coolant won't be circulating.

On that issue I never turn my engine off for 'short stints' if by that you mean 10 minutes or so and the engine temp is above average IE been working hard.
    When you turn the engine off the temp of the engine components skyrocket as the dynamic transfer of heat from the hot mass of the engine to the cooler mass of the coolant effectively ceases.
    Yeah the problem is sometime I could walk up a hill climb and it be 30 mins and other times like 10. Depending on the amount of winching required to get cars up.

I don't like wasting 30 mins of petrol at a time

Last edited by lucus30; 7th November 2016 at 09:09 PM.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty much exactly what I did, Cobber.

I spliced into the plug wot connects to the factory sensor at the bottom of the Rad.

The Factory Thermo Fan Relay is in with the other Relays next to the battery if you want to go that way but the Sensor wires were the easiest to get at IMHO... labelled A/C Fan or somesuch IIRC

It also means the A/C portion of the operation is unaffected
    Cheers...
    Im not running the sensors in the rad. Being a zd to td conversion its using the ecu and chopped engine bay loom. I think i have to go via the factory relay.
    So. I assume i just need to find the wire to the relay that is live when i turn the a/c on and just simply run the switch to this wire. And then from the switch ignition power...

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Cheers...
    Im not running the sensors in the rad. Being a zd to td conversion its using the ecu and chopped engine bay loom. I think i have to go via the factory relay.
    So. I assume i just need to find the wire to the relay that is live when i turn the a/c on and just simply run the switch to this wire. And then from the switch ignition power...

Fair 'nuf... in that case, yeah, pick up the factory wire... or... put a changeover relay (87, 87a jobbie) inline with fan power.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th November 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fair 'nuf... in that case, yeah, pick up the factory wire... or... put a changeover relay (87, 87a jobbie) inline with fan power.
    I realised I had a spare relay to a switch on my dash that I no longer was using, its already wired in and the wire needed for the fan was there. I spliced into the fan loom. same spot where I spliced into when I added the second thermo. It worked, but it keeps blowing a 20A fuse. This fuse is on the +ive wire to the relay. To pin 30... Its not a c/o relay too. Does it need to be a c/o relay?
    I'm assuming its blowing the fuse as the amps from the two fans are drawing are pretty high maybe? When it ( The relay )was being used to power some lights, it never blew a fuse once.
    Last edited by mudski; 25th November 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two thermo fans will almost def pull more than 20 on start up, try a bigger rating on the fuse... and make sure you aren't feeding 12 volts back IE if your manually switching in 12 volts to the fans after the factory Fan relay it should be OK (but not best practice).
    Last edited by the evil twin; 26th November 2016 at 02:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th November 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two thermo fans will almost def pull more than 20 on start up, try a bigger rating on the fuse... and make sure you aren't feeding 12 volts back IE if your manually switching in 12 volts to the fans after the factory Fan relay it should be OK (but not best practice).
    Thanks ill try a bigger fuse. As for the last bit. How do i check? Or where? I am using a relay after the factory fan relay.
    What will happen when the a/c id turned on? Should i run a blocking diode, i think that's what its called, on the wire from the new relay?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast