Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which tablet

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont bother with a tablet anymore, just use my Samsung Note 4, and Hema Explorer, screen is big enough and does everything I need. No need to carry extra crap around anymore........ or the other obvious option for a large screen is, dare I say it a IPhone 6 or 7 plus.
    I just don't see the point in a tablet anymore...... but that's just my opinion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

MB (17th November 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    I dont bother with a tablet anymore, just use my Samsung Note 4, and Hema Explorer, screen is big enough and does everything I need. No need to carry extra crap around anymore........ or the other obvious option for a large screen is, dare I say it a IPhone 6 or 7 plus.
    I just don't see the point in a tablet anymore...... but that's just my opinion
    You will mate when you're eyes get as bad as mine lol
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2016), Stropp (25th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    You will mate when you're eyes get as bad as mine lol
    Nah, I just put me varifocals on lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,477 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use an ipad with hema maps mounted on a bracket off the dash, best thing ever.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beexy View Post
    Hi all. As title suggests looking to buy a tablet. Plan to use for general Internet bit also for off road navigation. Please keep it simple I'm not very technical minded. Also what programs are best for nav. Have hema explorer on the phone but not keen on having to pay for their upgrade. Have heard ozi explorer thrown around
    Just spent the weekend testing a cheap 7 inch tablet running Oziexplorer Android. The tablet is a XGODY T73Q, cost $68 on Ebay paired with a Kingpin bluetooth GPS unit (cost around $28 from memory). I use Ozi on the PC & have converted the map files using Image to OZF4 program from the Oziexplorer website. Have loaded maps for NSW in 1:25000, 1:50000 base maps & 1:25000 topo maps. Will load other maps when needed.

Tablet cost $68
    GPS $28
    Ozi App $36
    Maps Free

So for $132 have got a cheap & easy to use navigation system. I also run Oziexplorer on a 10 inch laptop, but find the tablet version easier to use on the move. With the Screen Designer for the Ozi app it is easy to design your own screens to use.

Happy with the way it works so far, will be interesting to see how long the tablet will last.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think due to price and being familiar with the system I'll go a Samsung Galaxy tablet. Just need to work out ozi explorer or memory maps. Already have henna explorer on the mobile.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beexy For This Useful Post:

Stropp (25th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read your post. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with inbuilt GPS for 3 years. Has worked a treat. No issues.
    Have tried every mapping program there is and always come back to Ozi Explorer. Would recommend it to anyone.

Sent from Tony's Samsung S5 using Taptalk.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony's 4.8 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (25th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this thread and wanted to add, for anyone considering an Apple iPad for Nav use.... make sure you get one with a SIM Card slot. The non-gsm mobile-only models *do not* have a gps built in!
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    You can try to get the mapping data yourself from Geoscience Australia for free (its AU government organization) but these files are huge and take a lots of processing to convert to format be used on the device of your choosing.
    @Rumcajs
    I think Shonky Maps is the GA mapping data stitched together - might save some work? Still large files tho'. Not sure how usable they are as I haven't installed them yet after downloading a few years ago (required Garmin Software on PC at time of download to install the map data) to run on a marine handheld GPS.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a Galaxy Tab S. 8 inch purely for hema explorer. Works wonderful from the use I've put through it ...
    I do have a full set of hema maps compatible with Ozi, but never actually bonded the 2 together.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12