Thread: Which tablet

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which tablet

Hi all. As title suggests looking to buy a tablet. Plan to use for general Internet bit also for off road navigation. Please keep it simple I'm not very technical minded. Also what programs are best for nav. Have hema explorer on the phone but not keen on having to pay for their upgrade. Have heard ozi explorer thrown around

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day,

A tablet is very generalized question. First you need to decide on the platform that is being Android or iOS (Apple iPad) or those over priced Microsoft Surface offerings powered. Then it is the size, 7", 8", 10".

I have 7" Android tablet and honestly I struggle to keep it somewhere on the Nissan dashboard/windscreen.

Then it is a question of navigation apps, Ozi explorer for Android still needs to be purchased and you still need valid map files e.g. from Hema.

There is also a question of privacy, Android based tablets leak huge amount of personal information to 3rd parties unless you know how to gain super user privilege and block/plug those leaks, evil Google will simply fight all the way to steal all the juicy data about you, your habits etc. IMHO Android ecosystem is becoming a liability to personal safety and privacy. The incessant data mining and "phoning home" on Android platform is a nightmare G. Orwell has warned about in 1984 novel.

If you are not technically minded and don't mind forking out a bit extra and I can't believe I'm saying it (I used to be a huge Android fan) I'd seriously consider Apple's iPad line of tablet, they just work and Apple is banking on protecting your privacy actually.

Otherwise avoid the cheap Chinese Android tablets, they're utter junks/garbage. Usually Samsung tablets are OK.

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 17th November 2016 at 08:42 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

MB (17th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (17th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,216 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Beexy, I'm not too techy myself either mate. Blokes here have kindly suggested sticking with McApple iPad instead of a tablet thingo. Reason explained to me I think was that 'Memory-Map' app can be booted up with some blokes rooftop scanned awesome efforts. Hopefully someone can pasty the forum link here for you mate!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies Rumcajs mate, slowly typing me at the same time :-)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. May have to lean towards the apple. What sort should i be looking for and what nav programs are best on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I've got a Samsung tab 10 inch and love it. Use hema for general stuff (not too bad but don't love their maps) and memory map with scanned rooftop paper maps for the vic high country which is awesome but takes a fair bit of work to get them on there. Drewboy did a great thread if you want to go this way. Also can tether it to the phone and use Google maps for cites and the burbs which is pretty good. Had a dick smith special suction cap jobbie but made some mods so it's secure on the dash now and is rock solid.

Apple & Android, ford and holden really personally hate the lack of flexibility with apple, android seems to do everything i need easily. It's handy for looking at photos off the slr and a bit of Internet when traveling too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rumcajs @AB @Rossco :-) ?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, mapping progress on mobile (not phone) platform like tablets is a bit of joke really. Hema has the market in Australia stitched up in with collaboration Ozi Explorer (they basically playing in to each other hand, Hema provides maps and Ozi the software) and both are charging a ransom for it. There was alternative free app (Androzic) on Android which could process/play with Hema/Ozi format maps so those two changed the format to lock this competitor out.

Other alternatives on iPad are not cheap indeed nothing is cheap in Apple ecosystem, Hema will cost you, Memory maps will cost you, Mud maps will cost you, nothing is cheap when it comes to 4WDriving maps thanks to that Hema monopoly. You can try to get the mapping data yourself from Geoscience Australia for free (its AU government organization) but these files are huge and take a lots of processing to convert to format be used on the device of your choosing.

If you don't want to or can't fcuk around then buying complete Hema unit is the simplest thing to do for a price of course.

Cheers

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

MB (17th November 2016), Stropp (18th November 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey mate, I've got a Samsung tab 10 inch and love it. Use hema for general stuff (not too bad but don't love their maps) and memory map with scanned rooftop paper maps for the vic high country which is awesome but takes a fair bit of work to get them on there. Drewboy did a great thread if you want to go this way. Also can tether it to the phone and use Google maps for cites and the burbs which is pretty good. Had a dick smith special suction cap jobbie but made some mods so it's secure on the dash now and is rock solid.

Apple & Android, ford and holden really personally hate the lack of flexibility with apple, android seems to do everything i need easily. It's handy for looking at photos off the slr and a bit of Internet when traveling too.
    Why bother with Google maps, you can use Android OsmAnd~ app in offline mode easily, very accurate free maps of entire world (regularly updated), include topo data and loaded with features that you wonder how did you go without. Alas a true 4WD mapping is not there as yet but they're working on it. If it is well travelled popular place it will be included with some off road tracks as well. But you can also make your own or edit those maps yourself.

Regards

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

MB (17th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aargh bugger me you tech blokes, friggin confused as chit now :-( Never Eat Soggy Weetbix they said :-) Will have to turn left at the ocean and keep heading upwards until the sign post says stop Papua :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast