OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone please tell me what this part does?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your on the ball there evil, I'm guessing you are a auto-sparky as well lol..
    Anyhow ill second your post evil, good one mate
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    Your on the ball there evil, I'm guessing you are a auto-sparky as well lol..
    Not an Auto Sparky as such but a few qualies in a closely related field. A good Auto Sparky will know a sight more than me but its good to try and rule out the easy bits if ya can... plus I've never had the honour of tinkering with 24 Volt Patrols so could be minor but distinct differences I am not aware of... still use Hitachi Alternators I spose but maybe not
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Not an Auto Sparky as such but a few qualies in a closely related field. A good Auto Sparky will know a sight more than me but its good to try and rule out the easy bits if ya can... plus I've never had the honour of tinkering with 24 Volt Patrols so could be minor but distinct differences I am not aware of... still use Hitachi Alternators I spose but maybe not
    Ah ok then lol, not very many differences, same basic principles.. But you know your stuff mate so must be a VERY closely related field lol
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    Ah ok then lol, not very many differences, same basic principles.. But you know your stuff mate so must be a VERY closely related field lol
    ROFL... yeah Fletch the 'vehicles' I worked on for 20 odd years had wings and a few more horses out of the engines than a 'Trol but as you say the principles don't change only the specifics.

Lucky I retired from being around things with guns and bombs a lot of years ago now... there seriously are some deserving targets errrr people out there who really do deserve a special airmail delivery in this modern world of ours. We have forgotten a few valuable lessons learnt in the past but thats for another thread I reckon
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ROFL... yeah Fletch the 'vehicles' I worked on for 20 odd years had wings and a few more horses out of the engines than a 'Trol but as you say the principles don't change only the specifics.

Lucky I retired from being around things with guns and bombs a lot of years ago now... there seriously are some deserving targets errrr people out there who really do deserve a special airmail delivery in this modern world of ours. We have forgotten a few valuable lessons learnt in the past but thats for another thread I reckon
    Haha yer I reckon mate, I can barley read my phone in so drunk... ll
    Apprentice Sparky

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HippoNZ View Post
    Thanks mate, I've already done that. Reads 8-9v regardless if the truck is off or running or with a load. I just need to figure out where I put what probes on the alternator so I can test what's being put out straight from there instead of what the batteries are up to. If you could let me know that would be great mate
    Hi HippoNZ.

The alternator will have 3 wires going to it (possible 4 if it has an earth going to the body of the alternator, black wire).

Two of the wires will go into a plug that connects to the alternator.

The last one is a heavy gauge wire (from memory white wire) this is the wire that supplies the charge to the batteries when the alternator is charging, this wire is connected to the alternator via a nut.

To test alternator output, start vehicle, bring revs up to a fast idle, now with your volt meter put the negative lead to a clean spot on the block and the positive lead to the heavy gauge wire.

If you alternator is charging it should read somewhere between 26-28 volts.

As per the evil twins post you need to make sure the alternator/ battery light in the dash comes on when the ignition is turn on and then goes off when the engine has started.

How are you starting the vehicle? from it's own batteries or do you have to jump start it?

Make sure the battery in your volt meter is not flat, this can cause the volt meter to read out.

Also I would recommend if you are running any 12 volt accessaries from one battery, to remove these and get yourself a 24-12 volt reducer.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Yendor; 14th May 2011 at 03:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12