Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Its a seperate pressure switch according to those drawings.

I'd be using the pressure switch to switch a relay, not the pump. Separate power and control
    Thanks Bene, so i read that drawings to say take the supply for the pump from the ignition via the Oil Pressure switch? Your suggesting putting a relay in between the Oil Pressure switch and the pump yeah but still take the supply from the Oil Pressure switch? can i not take the supply from anywhere that required Ignition? Is there an easier spot? As long as its switched via ignition yeah?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I haven't wired mine yet but will just switch a relay via ignition. That was Mat's suggestion too.
    so leave out the Oil Pressure switch circuit? Seems unnecessary?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With their diagram the pump will operate when your engine is running and you have oil pressure.
    It won't hurt to have it running for 5 seconds while you glow the plugs so I was just going to wire it from ignition. It will save time when changing fuel filters too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Thanks Bene, so i read that drawings to say take the supply for the pump from the ignition via the Oil Pressure switch? Your suggesting putting a relay in between the Oil Pressure switch and the pump yeah but still take the supply from the Oil Pressure switch? can i not take the supply from anywhere that required Ignition? Is there an easier spot? As long as its switched via ignition yeah?

Give the pump its own protected supply from the battery switched by relay. Control that relay by the key. Thats what I mean about separate.

If you develop a fault at the pump mid trip and say, melt a cable, which does happen. It will only damage the cable directly from the battery to the pump.
    If the pump was supplied from ignition directly it will damage cable all the way back to the Key,

Oil pressure switch is debateable. If I were to use an oil pressure switch I would have bypass switch incase I need to start it after a roll over or in stuck in some risky position where getting out and priming is not ideal, or fault frinding.

This is how I would wire it in. I used the same principal on my W2A cooler

Lift pump.jpg
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Legend Bene.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I went up from 75kW to about 100kW with just a tune after fitting a 3" exhaust.
    Then after fitting the CC intercooler they easily reached 115-120kW, but apparently the car was gasping for air at that stage or beyond.
    The standard HT18 was at its peak range so they suggested if I want more, I'd need a better turbo and/or open up the air intake.
    The IP was also a limiting factor.

Good Ole 3rd gear run from JPC again... KW and torque will be slightly lower than on this sheet. The best I could manage was 121 rwkw with the maxxed stock pump. The pump was a little tired though.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Hodge (4th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (3rd November 2016), Winnie (3rd November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you swap your snorkel for a 4" too or just the airbox? I am running your old cobra head and certainly felt a difference. Concerned that a bigger airbox will be limited by the snorkel
    I can highly recommend going a better airbox. Do the airbox at the very least. The genuine airbox is the most restrictive part of the equation. I think the cobra head would have been a placebo effect a little as the problem is the element to airbox relationship, any changes beyond that will render little result.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eric were your before and after Dyno runs on the same Dyno? A 20kw increase surprises me? Bloody impressive! How are your EGTs?
    You can have a 20kw increase on all the standard gear if you wind the fuel into it. I did 109 rwkw with all my stock gear. EGTs were ok but had to managed when towing but they werent crazy. Putting a big cooler on just allows more fuel to thrown in and EGTs are more stable. Dont always think lower is always better. We have a safe max but there is nothing wrong with cruising at 350 C*.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Good Ole 3rd gear run from JPC again... KW and torque will be slightly lower than on this sheet. The best I could manage was 121 rwkw with the maxxed stock pump. The pump was a little tired though.
    Yeah I did wonder what gear it was in too.

So Matt you reckon a 20kw increase is possible just from the cooling of the intercooler allowing a bigger tune? 20kw is a great result!

Does anyone know what airflow diameter the Nissan snorkel would equate too?

@mudski, what did your snorkel cost mate?

Thanks fellas, this thread is developing well. Excited about making some changes finally.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I did wonder what gear it was in too.

So Matt you reckon a 20kw increase is possible just from the cooling of the intercooler allowing a bigger tune? 20kw is a great result!

Does anyone know what airflow diameter the Nissan snorkel would equate too?

@mudski, what did your snorkel cost mate?

Thanks fellas, this thread is developing well. Excited about making some changes finally.
    Yes and like I said is all achievable on stock equipment too although it wont be as nice as something with a Borg Warner on it. Yeah the standard cooler just isnt big enough once you start leaning on it, it just loses efficiency. If you go to a full 4" intake and a Borg Warner EFR6758 then it will be a very nice car to drive. Keeping in mind that your pump is going to be the factor of restriction.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Hodge (4th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (3rd November 2016)

Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast