Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually if you see my current build on the new block you can see what I have done.

I used the OEM water drain from the HT18 into the thermostat and had the steel line flared to fix to a T piece I bought, or you could just run a braided line all the way but I liked the OEM steel line which uses the clips to hold onto the rocker cover fixings and you can go straight up to the rocker and along to the thermostat housing.

Oil drain is self explanatory but make sure it has a nice angled gravity flow into the block and make sure you get that 15mm ID oil drain.

Water feed, you could use your OEM feed into the block and mod that or might just be easier to make up a braided line as below, new line would be better. I used the coolant drain but you should/could use the OEM water port on the other side of the oil relief valve.

Oil feed, I didn't have the OEM fittings, you could mod that but would be better to start again with braided line from the block, I think M10 x 1.5?

My water drain is a bit ugly, braided would look nicer if you're a sensitive new aged materialistic princess?

Work out your lengths, fittings and your chosen paths and just take it all to Pirtek mate, easy!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

jjjag (2nd January 2019), MB TD42 (26th June 2018), MudRunnerTD (1st November 2016), Stropp (1st November 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, no I haven't considered intake mods really. I have a billet air box lid with a cobra head which I got off @Stropp when he upgraded his airbox. Stropp did you do your airbox upgrade as a stand alone mod? Did you notice a huge change? What snorkel have you got feeding it?
    hi darren, i had that cobra head etc when i did the turbo upgrade but have gone now to 4"ss and fatz airbox, there was a bit of difference when i had the original setup on but the 4" you can definately feel and hear the spool up quicker
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to put a little bit of oil in the oil feed area of the turbo before hooking up oil feed too.

Failing that, crank engine a few times without engine starting to get oil in...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    hi darren, i had that cobra head etc when i did the turbo upgrade but have gone now to 4"ss and fatz airbox, there was a bit of difference when i had the original setup on but the 4" you can definately feel and hear the spool up quicker
    Did you swap your snorkel for a 4" too or just the airbox? I am running your old cobra head and certainly felt a difference. Concerned that a bigger airbox will be limited by the snorkel
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Don't forget to put a little bit of oil in the oil feed area of the turbo before hooking up oil feed too.

Failing that, crank engine a few times without engine starting to get oil in...
    Very helpful mate, this thread is becoming a great reference thread. We will chat further thank you.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Winnie (1st November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I went up from 75kW to about 100kW with just a tune after fitting a 3" exhaust.
    Then after fitting the CC intercooler they easily reached 115-120kW, but apparently the car was gasping for air at that stage or beyond.
    The standard HT18 was at its peak range so they suggested if I want more, I'd need a better turbo and/or open up the air intake.
    The IP was also a limiting factor.

Eric were your before and after Dyno runs on the same Dyno? A 20kw increase surprises me? Bloody impressive! How are your EGTs?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you swap your snorkel for a 4" too or just the airbox? I am running your old cobra head and certainly felt a difference. Concerned that a bigger airbox will be limited by the snorkel
    Yes did both and Definately felt the difference

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Yes did both and Definately felt the difference
    Thanks Stropp, could you post a couple of pics of your snorkel and airbag mate. I have sent Fatz a pm. Did the snorkel use the same penetration through the panel? have you retained your dual battery? did you run a bigger conduit inside the guard?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eric were your before and after Dyno runs on the same Dyno? A 20kw increase surprises me? Bloody impressive! How are your EGTs?

On the same Dyno mate. The increase surprised me as well. Unless they didn't push the car enough the first time before the intercooler. I don't know. The power is backed off a little, due to, as I said the motor was gasping for air at that power level.

EGT's. Where I used to see and creep up to 500C lugging it up a long hill, now it just scratches 400C, it sometimes goes to 425-450 but thats flogging it. Usual around town driving, like on the ring road for example, where I constantly used to see 300-350, after the intercooler upgrade the gauge doesn't even register any more unless I absolutely flog it.

Also a little hint if and when you DO order the CC intercooler.
    Make absolutely sure they understand the exact model of car you have. Because although the intercooler and piping is the same across all patrols, the rest of the kit varies. For example our models have the EGR pipe, and they sent me the wrong kit, so the guys fitting the cooler had to chop, weld and block things to suit as the EGR pipe was in the way.
    My post about it here.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post678541

So I rang up CC the next day and it was confirmed I was sent a kit for a 4.2 without EGR.
    2005 TD42TI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stropp, could you post a couple of pics of your snorkel and airbag mate. I have sent Fatz a pm. Did the snorkel use the same penetration through the panel? have you retained your dual battery? did you run a bigger conduit inside the guard?
    mate i used all but the bottom hole on the safari snorkel, if its a nissan snorkel you will be fine, the pipe is 4" to the turbo

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast