Thread: Amateur Radio & Outback Communications

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clubbyr8 View Post
    I just joined the Blue Mountains Amateur Radio Club and I'm studying for my standard or advanced license (haven't decided which one yet). It'll be a couple of months before I sit for the exams. Not sure what radio to buy yet but it'll be either Icom or Yaesu. The IC-7100 looks like what I need but I like the look of the Yaesu FTM-100DR (although it doesn't have HF), then there's the antenna (s) to consider, not sure what to get yet. Any suggestions?
    G`day Clubby, welcome to the hobby. Choosing a radio can be difficult, best option would be to see what the club members are using & what they think of them. Can`t go wrong with either Yaesu or Icom. I run an Icom IC-7000 teamed up with an LDG Z100+ tuner & a Terlin multi tap whip which does the job for me. Ronin uses the IC-7000, but he is using a Codan 9350 antenna which gives you the ability to change bands on the fly.

The IC-7100 looks to be a great radio with all the functions & bands you will need. The Icom IC-7000 & 706MK2G have been discontinued but are still available second hand. Terlin have gone out of business as well but there are other similar antennas around.

If you are considering only 2 m /70 cm, you might want to check out the Kenwood TM-D710A for around the same price as the Yaesu. It is a dual band radio & it has a few more functions, particularly APRS (Automated Packet Reporting System) used for vehicle tracking, weather reports.

Good luck with the exams.
    Last edited by VK2FMIA; 17th May 2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    G`day Clubby, welcome to the hobby. Choosing a radio can be difficult, best option would be to see what the club members are using & what they think of them. Can`t go wrong with either Yaesu or Icom. I run an Icom IC-7000 teamed up with an LDG Z100+ tuner & a Terlin multi tap whip which does the job for me. Ronin uses the IC-7000, but he is using a Codan 9350 antenna which gives you the ability to change bands on the fly.

The IC-7100 looks to be a great radio with all the functions & bands you will need. The Icom IC-7000 & 706MK2G have been discontinued but are still available second hand. Terlin have gone out of business as well but there are other similar antennas around.

If you are considering only 2 m /70 cm, you might want to check out the Kenwood TM-D710A for around the same price as the Yaesu. It is a dual band radio & it has a few more functions, particularly APRS (Automated Packet Reporting System) used for vehicle tracking, weather reports.

Good luck with the exams.
    Thanks mate. The FTM-100DR has APRS plus a few digital modes, GPS is built in, although it doesn't have dual reception but has bluetooth (option). Either way, whatever I get has to have a remote head or I need to butcher my Outback roof console....
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123