Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio & Outback Communications

Thanks
    Thanked 5,342 Times in 3,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, skip is a funny thing. Dad's place is over 370 ks away, but was in a black spot for me. When I was a teenager in the 80s, we used to sit in a rocky cove and fish at Eppalock and were able to talk to fishermen in Southern WA on Dads marine radio. They would find it hard to believe we were in Central Vic, because the signal was so strong.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

VK2FMIA (25th October 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the icom 7000 in my patrol and recently did the Simpson trip and the radio came into real use due to the amount of rain and track closures. I was able to get realtimes track closure details as well as weather reports from some very friendly Hams. Some of them were in NZ.

the antenna I use is the Codan 9350 paired to the Icom 7000. Worked a charm. I have a standard call.

2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I use the icom 7000 in my patrol and recently did the Simpson trip and the radio came into real use due to the amount of rain and track closures. I was able to get realtimes track closure details as well as weather reports from some very friendly Hams. Some of them were in NZ.

the antenna I use is the Codan 9350 paired to the Icom 7000. Worked a charm. I have a standard call.
    Most Hams are only too willing to help out it seems, great to have so many resources available through them when needed.

That combo is probably the best mobile setup possible, great for changing bands while on the move. My next antenna will be a 9350 I think. I`m using a Terlin 880 Outbakka Multi-tap, have to stop and change the lead all the time!. Still works a treat though.

Gotta get around to doing that upgrade to a standard call...................
    Last edited by VK2FMIA; 25th October 2016 at 09:12 AM.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend the courses run by Amateur Radio Victoria if you can make it to Melbourne. Laid back and easy going guys. The have some practice exams on their site that give you an idea what to expect.

https://www.amateurradio.com.au/licence/foundation

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AGman For This Useful Post:

mudnut (25th October 2016), VK2FMIA (25th October 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the DVD from www.res.net.au to study for the standard exam. They are $30. Plus my club did a few mock exams as well to get us ready.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronin For This Useful Post:

AGman (25th October 2016), VK2FMIA (25th October 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    skip is funny your signal radiat's in to the ionasphere and can bounce around up there and drop out any where ........

i had a fiberglass whip on the roof of the shed that was sheeted with corragated iron worked a treat beeter than my 5/8 ground plain that was sitting on on side of the shed ....... till we put up a pole that was centre of the roof then i was smashing the states nz and a few other places on 27mgz with my 101
    I never go into the outback with out a decent supply of water,
    and the general rule for how much you'll need is three litres
    per day , per person, per man per degree over 25 degrees
    celcius, per kilometer if walking on foot, in the winter months
    dividing it by two, plus... another litre... at the end .... Russell Coight

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makka View Post
    skip is funny your signal radiat's in to the ionasphere and can bounce around up there and drop out any where ........

i had a fiberglass whip on the roof of the shed that was sheeted with corragated iron worked a treat beeter than my 5/8 ground plain that was sitting on on side of the shed ....... till we put up a pole that was centre of the roof then i was smashing the states nz and a few other places on 27mgz with my 101
    Skip has a lot to do with how active Sunspots are. More spots charge the ionosphere giving a longer bounce. A good ground plane is makes all the difference as it makes up half of the antenna system.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300 using Tapatalk
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    ..the antenna I use is the Codan 9350 paired to the Icom 7000. Worked a charm. I have a standard call.
    Being a newbie on this, does that approach provide for all the bands etc? E.g. a viable alternative to the Terlin Outbakka one, but one where you would not have to manually reflect change across the bands? Or am I mistaking here?! I probably am, given this is all new territory for me!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jskogsta View Post
    Being a newbie on this, does that approach provide for all the bands etc? E.g. a viable alternative to the Terlin Outbakka one, but one where you would not have to manually reflect change across the bands? Or am I mistaking here?! I probably am, given this is all new territory for me!
    yeah with the Codan 9350 you dont have to manually do anything. As you change bands on the radio, you hit the tune button and the antenna autotunes to that frequency.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just joined the Blue Mountains Amateur Radio Club and I'm studying for my standard or advanced license (haven't decided which one yet). It'll be a couple of months before I sit for the exams. Not sure what radio to buy yet but it'll be either Icom or Yaesu. The IC-7100 looks like what I need but I like the look of the Yaesu FTM-100DR (although it doesn't have HF), then there's the antenna (s) to consider, not sure what to get yet. Any suggestions?
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast