Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clubbyr8 View Post
    I just joined the Blue Mountains Amateur Radio Club and I'm studying for my standard or advanced license (haven't decided which one yet). It'll be a couple of months before I sit for the exams. Not sure what radio to buy yet but it'll be either Icom or Yaesu. The IC-7100 looks like what I need but I like the look of the Yaesu FTM-100DR (although it doesn't have HF), then there's the antenna (s) to consider, not sure what to get yet. Any suggestions?
    G`day Clubby, welcome to the hobby. Choosing a radio can be difficult, best option would be to see what the club members are using & what they think of them. Can`t go wrong with either Yaesu or Icom. I run an Icom IC-7000 teamed up with an LDG Z100+ tuner & a Terlin multi tap whip which does the job for me. Ronin uses the IC-7000, but he is using a Codan 9350 antenna which gives you the ability to change bands on the fly.

The IC-7100 looks to be a great radio with all the functions & bands you will need. The Icom IC-7000 & 706MK2G have been discontinued but are still available second hand. Terlin have gone out of business as well but there are other similar antennas around.

If you are considering only 2 m /70 cm, you might want to check out the Kenwood TM-D710A for around the same price as the Yaesu. It is a dual band radio & it has a few more functions, particularly APRS (Automated Packet Reporting System) used for vehicle tracking, weather reports.

Good luck with the exams.
    Last edited by VK2FMIA; 17th May 2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt