Thread: Snatch Strap

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

Another point is that if you need to apply in excess of 9 tons of force to get a 3 ton vehicle moving that is sort of similar to trying to tow 9 tons of load (say, 1/2 a semi trailer with no wheels) with a 3 ton vehicle then some pretty average things are going to happen.

I usually dig out the bogged vehicle a reasonable amount and give it a try in low 2nd at about 1200 to 1500 RPM with 2 metres of strap laid down (1/2 a metre by a metre by 1/2 a metre in an S).
    If that starts to work then you can go a bit harder or if it works then great, which it usually should.
    If the stuck vehicle doesn't move then start digging some more.
    Thanks for your contribution ET, always on point mate.

This last bit is Really Really bloody important. The snatch Strap should be considered for light recoveries only. If your bogged to your chassis leave the bloody thing in the car. Use your Winch

So often i have seen guys on a Snatch Strap hit it hard.... didn't budge! Hit it again. Harder, and Harder. If it is not moving i promise you aint just gunna get lucky all of a sudden. Something Will Break and when it does its going to Hurt A-LOT!

There is a time and a place for a snatch recovery, its at the beginning though. If you have just lost traction and need a shove or nudge then go for it, when things are getting deeper then Dig and remove some of the weight then go or look for an alternative. Winch.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc4by View Post
    BillsGU I am booked in with Eureka 4WD training for a sand and bush day.
    I have made contact with my local club as well and will be attending their next meeting.
    I also picked up an ARB 8T snatch strap with shackles for a good price.
    You are certainly on the right track. I hope you have as much enjoyment out of 4 wheeling as I have over the years. It does pay to learn from experts and know how to do it properly and safely.
    Last edited by BillsGU; 25th October 2016 at 02:23 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine is 8k too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123