Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question tach dash unit fix?

hello to everyone,
    i have just finished most of my maintenance work on my recently bought rd28t without major problems, the only thing that won't work is the tachometer (sometimes it works, than it's jumping around or stays dead). i've narrowed it down to the actual tach mounted in the dash. altough i don't have an oscilloscope funktion on my multimeter i am pretty sure that the error is hidden there, because all the electrical connections are fine, all the ground connections are cleaned up, the resistance of the rpm sensor and the alt.voltage output before and after the ecu are as sugessted in the manual.
    if anyone could give me a hint what to look for, or how to identify the error , once i've taken the tach out the dash unit i would really apreciate that.
    saludos
    chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to the forum.

What model is your Patrol?. If it is a GQ / Y60? If so it is easy to remove the tacho unit. Since you have said you have traced the problem back to the tacho gauge, can you swap it with another unit that you know works? That will confirm that it is a wiring loom or sender problem or not.

If you cant do that, remove the gauge and visually inspect the circuit board. Sometimes the soldering can be affected by vibration or corrosion.
    Last edited by mudnut; 17th July 2016 at 11:46 AM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    thanx for the answer!
    it is an y 60 that i've got. already taken the gauge unit out, and will check the soldering ,since it's not that easy to get an affordable unit to swap around here,
    greets
    chris

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris canary View Post
    hi,
    thanx for the answer!
    it is an y 60 that i've got. already taken the gauge unit out, and will check the soldering ,since it's not that easy to get an affordable unit to swap around here,
    greets
    chris
    It's usually the corrosion or dust weakening the contacts. Give it a bit of a clean with a tooth brush and some carby cleaner spray, etc.
    It's a pretty common problem with GQ dashboard gauge unit.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i got the gauge disassambled to the smallest possible unit, cleaned with contact cleaner , put it back in and it worked fine for a couple of days, then it just started doing the funky chicken again. i guess i'll just change it to an aftermarket gauge that is able to read pulses.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since you have found it is the gauge, have a go at soldering all the joints you can get to. If you aren't confident, let someone else do it. The trick is to clamp a heat sink on the leg of the component, and be quick when applying the iron. A pair of small needle nose pliers with rubber bands to make them clamp the leg also does the job too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudnut; 29th July 2016 at 09:19 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (16th October 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,772 Times in 2,701 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris canary View Post
    well, i got the gauge disassambled to the smallest possible unit, cleaned with contact cleaner , put it back in and it worked fine for a couple of days, then it just started doing the funky chicken again. i guess i'll just change it to an aftermarket gauge that is able to read pulses.
    I have just lived thru this same thing with my GQTD28 tacho going intermittently mental. I sent the vehicle to WA for the engine transplant and when the 'thing' left Melb, it was working. Anyway, it died over there and a second tacho was put in - this lasted 24hrs and it died. The diagnosed root cause was 'voltage spike'. Anyway, a third tacho was sourced and installed with some 'fancy wiring' and its supposedly running stable and OK. I am none the wiser, not at root cause and frustrated, plus a lot lighter in the pocket - hope you don't end down this track.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

dom14 (16th October 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    I have just lived thru this same thing with my GQTD28 tacho going intermittently mental. I sent the vehicle to WA for the engine transplant and when the 'thing' left Melb, it was working. Anyway, it died over there and a second tacho was put in - this lasted 24hrs and it died. The diagnosed root cause was 'voltage spike'. Anyway, a third tacho was sourced and installed with some 'fancy wiring' and its supposedly running stable and OK. I am none the wiser, not at root cause and frustrated, plus a lot lighter in the pocket - hope you don't end down this track.
    Hi Phil,
    Do you have more information on that "killer voltage spike", the origin of the spike, etc etc??!!
    It would be great to know.
    Cheers
    Dom
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,772 Times in 2,701 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Hi Phil,
    Do you have more information on that "killer voltage spike", the origin of the spike, etc etc??!!
    It would be great to know.
    Cheers
    Dom
    Dom,
    I spoke with Greg at Brunswick and he was at a loss as to whats causing it, needless to say they think they have 'gone around it', which is kind of a fix i guess. I will get full details of the magic box they installed as part of the fix and will follow up later with him. Vehicle has left Perth, is on train to Adelaide and due there on 20th - so getting closer!!!
    Phil

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

dom14 (19th October 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Dom,
    I spoke with Greg at Brunswick and he was at a loss as to whats causing it, needless to say they think they have 'gone around it', which is kind of a fix i guess. I will get full details of the magic box they installed as part of the fix and will follow up later with him. Vehicle has left Perth, is on train to Adelaide and due there on 20th - so getting closer!!!
    Phil
    Hey Phil,
    If it happens again(which I seriously doubt), I would suspect some electrical short circuit somewhere in the wiring.
    Some of those goblins are no easy to spot, but magically fixes itself when you replace the wiring, as is the case with my fuel pump
    issues.
    Cheers

P.S. Post some photos of the rig when you get it.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast