Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah cool. Might have been just how you worded it that he prefers cash. alarm bells rings when i see that. But as you explained, its all good. One thing i was told when i got mine done is its best to get everything done as it looks better on the plate with more codes to keep mr. plod happy, or happyer if thats possible. As they can see you can gone to efforts to get it done. Rather than just argue with them when they pull you up and pull their book out.
    What i was surprised about were the noting of the ARB siderails front and rear bars and winches, and roofrack - if these are so in need of 'engineering' why doesn't everyone who bolts one on have to jump thru the same hoops? I 'expected' they were already exempt under some sort of 'standard optional equipment' process that the likes of ARB might have gone thru to ensure they are ADR compliant - maybe its simply being conservative getting them on the plate, but there really is no 'test' rolled out to validate each of these add-ons.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wants cash. Sounds a bit dodgy. Seen a few discussions floating around on FB about cash jobs for mod plates. Its his nuts that are on the line if he gets caught. So he signed off on the conversion without doing a brake test and checking spring rates? Again, Its his nuts that are on the line if he gets caught. Unless he's allowed to do this, which I doubt. But atleast you got it done. I thought Brunswick would have done the engineers report when doing the conversion.
    Also, BD do get the vehicle compliant with the ADR's however the WA system is not recognised in Victoria for the engine placement, but the GVM upgrade is. Also I heard recently of someone buying a converted vehicle thru a company and bringing it back to Vic, then simply swapping the rego over from one company to the other - no engineering process required or chased - very odd double standard or simply a huge loophole.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I removed everything from my car except for the bull bar, as advised from the engineer. As I had no rear dickie seats and the seat belts removed they made mine as a 5 seater and this gave me an extra 180kgs on the GVM too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Ropes (30th November 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed everything from my car except for the bull bar, as advised from the engineer. As I had no rear dickie seats and the seat belts removed they made mine as a 5 seater and this gave me an extra 180kgs on the GVM too.
    Yep,

I did the same, Took the bull bar and side Raines, the dog box off, the passengers seat, emptied the fuel tanks, took every conceivable bolt on option off to get the tare weight done for NSW.

Put it all back on for engineering. I must say though, the NSW engineer that I went thorough was absolutely fantastic.

Cheers
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

Ropes (30th November 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Yep,

I did the same, Took the bull bar and side Raines, the dog box off, the passengers seat, emptied the fuel tanks, took every conceivable bolt on option off to get the tare weight done for NSW.

Put it all back on for engineering. I must say though, the NSW engineer that I went thorough was absolutely fantastic.

Cheers
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I removed the rear seats and 'converted it to a 5 seater' also. I would have been well under the revised limit of 3300kg as I came in at 2940, however the certificate was something like 2450 - so simply no hope. Anyway BD rang today to say the revised plate and paperwork was with them, and as soon as the old stuff arrived by post they would send it. Been busy every night bolt the junk back onto it and leaving a bit off - simply don't ned it. The hydraulic winch is going to be my challenge as I need the dual pulley drive off the PS pump to drive the second pump, and having to make one from bits is a pain. Do you know how tight the fit is of the spline on the pulley to the pump shaft? I am wodering if I can quietly tap it off or have to use a puller?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    I removed the rear seats and 'converted it to a 5 seater' also. I would have been well under the revised limit of 3300kg as I came in at 2940, however the certificate was something like 2450 - so simply no hope. Anyway BD rang today to say the revised plate and paperwork was with them, and as soon as the old stuff arrived by post they would send it. Been busy every night bolt the junk back onto it and leaving a bit off - simply don't ned it. The hydraulic winch is going to be my challenge as I need the dual pulley drive off the PS pump to drive the second pump, and having to make one from bits is a pain. Do you know how tight the fit is of the spline on the pulley to the pump shaft? I am wodering if I can quietly tap it off or have to use a puller?
    No way! I came in at that exact weight too....

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way! I came in at that exact weight too....
    Odd isn't it. I actually thought I would be a lot lighter as I took out 80kgs of batteries and a 60L engel. Anyway, the batteries had died so they went onto the nature strip for someone to scavenge. I replaced them with a single N200 at 200a/h and 1300CCA rating, principally to power the rear winch.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still labouring with my GVM upgrade.What I have learnt however is that for a GQ patrol, the front axle load rating is 1500kg and the rear is 1800kg. I have this in writing from Nissan Australia, and it aligns with the 'automatic WA GVM upgrades' as dished out like hamburgers, as you don't need to do any structural mods to the vehicle to increase its load carrying capacity beyond its limits if the GVM upgrade is 3300kg. If you want to go beyond this, then you appear to be up for axle housing stiffening, or at least that is how I am interpreting it.

I am waiting for docs from Dobinsons to ratify the coils installed as meeting the ADR requirements and will advise when they come thru.

Right now I have a VASS sign-off for the engine swap. To add the GVM upgrade requires a completely new VASS assessment of all the items included in the original, plus anything else the engineer decides is applicable, so be aware if going down this track. Not happy.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    I am still labouring with my GVM upgrade.What I have learnt however is that for a GQ patrol, the front axle load rating is 1500kg and the rear is 1800kg. I have this in writing from Nissan Australia, and it aligns with the 'automatic WA GVM upgrades' as dished out like hamburgers, as you don't need to do any structural mods to the vehicle to increase its load carrying capacity beyond its limits if the GVM upgrade is 3300kg. If you want to go beyond this, then you appear to be up for axle housing stiffening, or at least that is how I am interpreting it.

I am waiting for docs from Dobinsons to ratify the coils installed as meeting the ADR requirements and will advise when they come thru.

Right now I have a VASS sign-off for the engine swap. To add the GVM upgrade requires a completely new VASS assessment of all the items included in the original, plus anything else the engineer decides is applicable, so be aware if going down this track. Not happy.
    Is this something you could maybe upload with google docs or something? I can then put in in the Vehicle Engineers sticky for other to read.

Cheers.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this something you could maybe upload with google docs or something? I can then put in in the Vehicle Engineers sticky for other to read.

Cheers.
    All I have is the letter from Nissan Australia which is linked to my rego number and VIN, which would need to be deleted of course. It was not a big deal to get from Nissan Australia, just rego number and VIN and 2 days later they supplied it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast