OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Cairns to the Lost Cities, Limmen National Park, NT - photos and trip story

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cairns to the Lost Cities, Limmen National Park, NT - photos and trip story

The Lost Cities rock formations in the Limmen National Park, NT, should be on everyone's bucket list for that big trip one day.

The formations are believed to be double the age of Uluru at about 1.4 billion years old, which puts them at some of the oldest on the planet, and yet they receive very little in the way of visitors each year and not a great deal is known about them.

We recently spent ten days on a short trip from Cairns across Qld and up through the Gulf to spend a few days investigating and poking around. It was absolutely worth it, and had that feeling of awesome remoteness and timelessness whilst wandering around amongst the formations. Below is a link to the Blog story on the trip and a couple of photos.

http://openskytouring.com/4wd-tourin...national-park/

Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Boinzo (8th October 2016), jack (8th October 2016), mudnut (8th October 2016), VK2FMIA (9th October 2016), Woof (9th October 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent write up. I'm putting this trip on the bucket list.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's a bit out of the way, but well worth the visit. Bring the camera and plan a couple of days of wandering, particularly afternoon's and mornings when the light is fantastic.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has been on my bucket list ever since we chucked a left at Burketown & headed south to Lawn Hill in ‘09. I wanted to continue across the Gulf, but everyone we spoke to advised that high clearance 4wd was needed & that we wouldn’t make in our bus + trailer. It was seeing the mud & dust covered 4wd’s arriving in Burketown from Borroloola which cemented our plan to get a 4wd ourselves. I recall pointing out a Toyota ute with a canvas canopy to MrsTea & telling her that was what we needed.

Great write up, have bookmarked it for re-reading in the future. Not sure whether we’ll do it or not, but I’m entertaining the idea of trying to caretake at Lorella Springs for the duration of the Wet, which I believe means being cut off there for several months with only helicopter (from Darwin) access in an emergency. Need to check out the place first though.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Savannah country is another special part of Australia's North, with it's own particular feel about it. Similar to much of upper Cape York in some ways too.

I didn't really write much about Lorella Springs, but the people were great and it has such potential with a bit more water around. I can imagine the wet season would be awesome there, although possibly restrictive to the homestead area. I'm sure they could advise you which creeks rise and fall quickly and which ones stay up for ages. You probably can't venture out towards the coast very far, but the water falls and gorge area would be spectacular.

I would love to catch huge storm fronts coming in over the Southern Lost Cities, or any of the other ranges there. Would be worth the experience for sure.

If you get the chance for that one, and the stars align for you, go for it.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple more photos from this area.

I found this birds nest on the side of that Hampster shaped rock when I climbed up under the belly area.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th October 2016), Rossco (8th October 2016), Woof (9th October 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here are a couple from Lorrella Springs, although I didn't take many here.

This was a particularly foggy morning so the skies look all grey, but it turned into a beautiful day.

The coast area certainly looked like big barra country to me. Might see me camped back here in April/May, if I'm not in Arnhem Land next year.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th October 2016), VK2FMIA (9th October 2016), Woof (9th October 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another couple of last ones from the Lost City area.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th October 2016), VK2FMIA (9th October 2016), Woof (9th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up & great pics. Will have to put that one on the bucket list. Thanks for that
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt