Thread: GU 98 2.8 TD cold start probs

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 98 2.8 TD cold start probs

My gu 98 2.8 has been a bugger since a frost about 2 mths ago av changed the relay and glow plugs and getting 12volts for 20 secs at the opp end to the connection it seems to start above 20 deg OK and the heat switch while its on doesn't cauncel out even when the temp is in normal temphave also cleaned the Maf with the CRC stuff once it starts runs rough with diesel smell at axhaust but once warm runs smooth and starts later without pre heat would appreciate any advice also av read about the crank sensor previous tags but are they temp sensitive????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just to clarify, it does start on cold mornings but just takes longer or is the smell, smoke and rough running your main concern? Judging by the number of threads about it the rd28 glow plug replacement might be worth reading about?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Crimpy av replaced the relay and plugs and it just will not start if temp is below round 20deg then if the outside temp is warm it smokes when it starts until the temp gauge moves and when it won't start there is Heep's of black/grey smoke from the exhaust

I am getting 12 volts to the other end tothe connection of the glow bar and the heat switch does not stop the high revs when normal temp is reached
    Last edited by Woof; 6th October 2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed from 2nd thread to combine 2 into 1

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry should've been more specific with my language meant replace the glow plugs to the TD42 setup as is explained in a thread somewhere on this forum.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey crimpy thanks for yr advice but still wanna know what the actual reason as up till this cold winter every other year I have had no probs so is it possible that another sensor somewhere has died and needs replacing