Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt Tensioner - No tension..

Gday All,

I thought my belt tensioner or ac bearing was fooked as it was queaking like hell. I visually inspected and tried to move it and its nice and tight. Spray belt grip on belt and noise disappears. Ok, I thought Ill buy a new belt so I put the 19mm breaker on tensioner and move it, but tensioner does not return (I.E no pressure on belt). I pulled it back the other way to tighten belt again. I would assume thats why belt is slipping.

Does anyone know where I could get one in Perth today as I need car for work on Tuesday.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bummer, mate... I can't think of a long weekend supplier for that one other than someone off the Forum.
    I used to carry a spare assy in my CRD so maybe soemone else does as well

IIRC you can get the tensioner itself rather than the whole assy from Nissan (they are $20 - $30 on Ebay but delivery time doesn't help you)

Maybe try getting enough tension on the belt to get you around first thing on Tue till you can get one?
    Last edited by the evil twin; 25th September 2016 at 03:07 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I pulled off tensioner and it was seized on the pivot point on the block. Pulled it apart, cleaned up and its working as it should. Now I still have a wicked squeal that goes away with belt grip...I think belts stuffed. Is it OK to use a aute one / repco / supercheap belt or must it be nissan. Also should I degrease / clean all the pullies when I get the old belt off and before new one goes on? Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good result...

You may get a few opinions on belts but FWIW here is what I found during my time with ZD30's and around our Club.

New for new, a replacement genuine Nissan Belt didn't squeal but most others did so within a short time.
    Soap, candle wax or belt lube only ever stopped the belt squeal for a short time on genuine or aftermarket belts and, if anything, when it started again it came back even worse on the genuine belts.

Bottom line is I stuck with genuine and had no issues, also IIRC the genuine belts weren't that much dearer (trade price for our 4WD Club)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, Im up n running for now as tensioner is sorted, just need a belt which Ill buy Tuesday from Nissan. Thanks again