OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your partner drive your Patrol?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your partner drive your Patrol?

Thought I’d ask.

I’ve just spent the last couple of Saturdays being passengered around some of the local 4wd forest tracks in my car, driven by my wife. She is doing a beginners basic proficiency course with the local 4wd club in a couple more weeks time, something she had planned to do last year, but a couple of knee operations put paid to that. So with the course coming up we decided that she should at least familiarise herself with the car, it being much larger & with totally different driving characteristics to her little buzz bomb go cart (Mitsubishi Mirage). That way there’s a much better chance I’ll get my car back from the course in one piece!

She was anxious to start with, understandable but not helpful. Pulling off the bitumen was up a greasy, off camber clay track with a couple of washed out ruts to straddle, all the more daunting because one of them was deeper than our 2” lifted Patrol would manage. Failure to line herself up adequately saw the inevitable result of the back end slewing around into the deep rut. No harm done though & I was able to back the car out, albeit with a bit of wheelspin. Not the most auspicious of starts, & with hindsight not the best spot for me to take a total newbie to 4wd’ing first up.

But I stayed calm & reassuring & from then on it was onward & upward. Her confidence grew with each new obstacle conquered. We stopped & discussed lines to take each time. I’m sure what she managed might be considered easy by many here, but if I were driving they would be at around 7/10th’s for me. She did stall & key starts, both forward & reverse & we followed any number of tracks on a variety of surfaces many of which were tight necessitating good vehicle placement to avoid damage, plus a number of steep & washed out hills, & sitting water needing checking for depth before entering.
    I reckon she managed it all like a champ, but when I told her that her response was to congratulate me on the courage I’d shown sitting in the car whilst she was doing it. Ha ha.

Today we tried a few of the same tracks in light rain & many others new to both of us. Only twice did we need to turn back, once when a track turned into a motorcycle only track & once when the way forward was seriously hardcore (as in if we try that we’ll wreck the car, ourselves or both).

The aim is preparation for our future travels into remote areas by ourselves where it obviously makes sense that we are both able to drive. I have no doubt that she will pass the proficiency course, she’s already managed more than the course will throw at her. (I did it 18 months ago). Previously we had thought that she would be my ‘backup’ in remote areas in case I became incapacitated & couldn’t drive, but both hers & my confidence has grown quickly seeing how she has adapted to the vehicle size & picked up a few skills & I’m now looking forward to sharing the driving with her on a regular basis when we get away. Unfortunately she has reminded me that if/when this happens it means I’ll also have to share the cooking.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 24th September 2016 at 08:07 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (25th September 2016), Clunk (24th September 2016), DX grunt (25th September 2016), mudnut (24th September 2016), paulyg (25th September 2016), Plasnart (24th September 2016), threedogs (25th September 2016), Touses (25th September 2016), TPC (25th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (24th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,414 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah, Amy has never learned to drive a manual and I have tried to teach her a few times but I think she gets way too nervous because the car is so big and precious to me haha.
    She does okay and could drive it in an emergency but she just lacks the confidence to drive it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My wife will drive my Patrol on the streets or on a dirt road but wont do any 4by tracks. No matter how many times i ask her if she wants to have a drive. She says no.
    Kinda wish she would though. She has her full bike licence and used to come out on some high country tracks with me back in the day.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The patrol is my wife's daily driver, so she's more than happy punting around on a few easier local tracks, but doesn't love the real steep stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bacho86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes quite a lot.

But when it comes to the hardcore stuff she prefers to drive her patrol (yes she owns one she had it when I met her). She is great to take out as she will give anything a go which has resulted in a few of my male friends realise the potential of their own patrol as the girl did it first do they kind have to give it a shot now.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (25th September 2016), Cuppa (24th September 2016), Plasnart (24th September 2016), Rossco (24th September 2016), TPC (25th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My partner owns the dam thing
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My wife would love to drive the Patrol but she just isn't comfortable with the manual.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Naomi drives the GUIV as her daily! She hates it!! But I do heap more Kms so I drive the SantaFe as its7lt/100kms for the win!! Saving a fortune.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish she would, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast