Thread: Perth to Alice via The Outback Way (Great Central Road) October 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perth to Alice via The Outback Way (Great Central Road) October 2016

Hi all, will be leaving Perth about mid October and driving this road, just wondering if anyone has driven it and if they have any info on it.

I have purchased the Hema The Outback Way atlas & guide book (which was very hard to find) and researched the net everywhere I can.

Plan at the moment is to head to Alice Springs to see Ayres Rock, after that I will either keep going till Winton QLD or backtrack and head down the Oodnadatta Track to visit Lake Eyre as it will hopefully be full by the time I get there.
    Once this part of my trip is complete I will be heading to NSW to visit my family for probably a few months.

Would be interested in campsites and things to see from people who have completed the trip.

I am planning to make a bit of a doco on the trip but we will see how I go with that.

Thanks in advance
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (24th September 2016), Perkins58 (9th December 2017), TPC (24th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would go the Oodnadatta option mate, inland NSW should have resurfaced by then... more to see and do that way
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Woof (24th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camp spot here for you if you make it down to Vic Doggy.

Haven’t yet done the Great Central Road, but have been to both ends of it at Laverton & at Kata Tjuta. Not sure how familiar you are with the Goldfields over there in WA, but I can let you know of a few good camp spots/places to visit over there if you’re interested. The dirt road between Leonora & Laverton follows the old railway track - some interesting history & places to park up for the night. If going to Uluru & you have time (sounds like you have) a couple of weeks exploring the Red Centre would be worthwhile. Boulia is worth a couple of days - make sure you seek out Dinosaur Dick Suter & have a yak with him - a true outback character who loves a yak. We loved Boulia, not a whole lot there but the locals wee really friendly. The Min Min museum is worth a gander too. We camped at the showgrounds but not sure if they are always open. If not there’s a caravan park in town. You might also enjoy a night at the Middleton hotel (camp at the ‘Hilton’ over the road). Friends recently camped at Conn Waterhole between Middleton & Winton for a few days & loved it. If you don’t have it, I’d suggest you invest a $5 or $10 (not sure current price) in the WikiCamps app for phone or iPad. (Can use it offline when no phone signal).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Woof (24th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All going well I should be starting my drive in about 3 weeks, roughly 9,600ks to Bathurst for xmas with my family then about 4,200ks home
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

Stropp (29th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cancelled due to stuff, maybe next year if stuff allows it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

AB (11th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Cancelled due to stuff, maybe next year if stuff allows it
    Chin up Doggy, east is the best mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Chin up Doggy, east is the best mate
    You're visas cancelled AB expect to be turned around and sent home on your next visit
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

AB (11th October 2016)