Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo TB42E LPG

Hi all,

Just thought I would create a new thread with my info fitting Turbo to GQ TB42E LPG in case anyone was considering it as follows:-

OK. Only have a couple of picks of Turbo bolted to Chinese made Stainless steel Manifold.Kinugawa Turbo 0016.jpgKinugawa Turbo 0012.jpg
    Have since thrown this manifold in with the scrap. It was badly distorted before I fitted it, both the face to head and also face to Turbo. Even though I shaved it on the mill, it couldn't cope with the heat and had too much trouble with it leaking. Ended up fitting a cast iron DTS manifold and even though it was $530, I now have no issues with any leaking. Having said all this about the Chinese manifold, and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy and fit one, part of the heat (too much) was I hadn't upgraded my exhaust to an unrestricted type. If I had done this before changing manifolds, I may have been able to retain the Stainless manifold, but I doubt it. Stainless steel doesn't conduct and cope with heat anywhere near as well as cast iron. The stainless manifold definitely had a lower engagement (1200rpm approx) due to smooth finish internally, compared to the Cast Iron which is 1600rpm. This is good and bad both ways, but Stainless/1200rpm was a bit too touchy for my liking, but I will say the economy seemed better. Best economy I can get with Cast Iron manifold is 400ks per 90 litres LPG. Stainless I could get 425ks per 90 litres LPG. Mind you this is trying hard/not sticking the boot in, only when some slow fart gets the better of me.

So at the end of the day if anyone wants to turbo their TB42E, I highly recommend it!
    If I did it again, I would consider either making my own manifold from steam pipe or buying one from the guy who I think is in New Zealand and advertises on Ebay. Kinugawa Turbo I am very happy with also on ebay, but need to get the right model Turbo to suit TB42E. Was just looking for invoice and also looking on ebay to see if I can find model/type I used, but can't be sure. If anyone wants to know, I am sure i can find it, or email Kinugawa and ask which one they suggest. DTS manifold is a low mount rather than high mount stainless (as per photo).

Only issue I have now is engine mounts, which I am planning to check tomorrow. Have already replaced one a while ago, and I am pretty sure one or both has failed again. Just can't cope with the torque, so going to see if i can fit some TB48E mounts as they should handle the increased torque.

Although I don't visit this forum often, might add some more pics next time I am on. Happy to answer any questions, but might have to be patient for an answers

Cheers, Uncle festa

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Festa For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th September 2016), Irish (24th September 2016), NissanGQ4.2 (23rd September 2016), threedogs (25th September 2016)