Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Standard or hiflow thermostat for 02 gu td42t

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to see what a G35 fan is to understand the issue..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    You need to see what a G35 fan is to understand the issue..
    Point taken,
    just going off the clearance available + the extra that can be gained by moving rad forward that's all.

Getting back to hi flow vers std ,
    As yet,?? not answered.
    what's the difference hi flow will actually make.
    yeah, more water through the rad faster thats a given.
    but what does that equate to-- in different driving conditions.
    eg- off rd & towing on rd?.
    And when Australian summer gets here?? Is it still suited to towing?
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The little flap on the bottom of the high flow stats lifts up higher than the oem stats. I recently changed over to a high flow but its not hot here to see any diff.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ummm I thought the lower valve on the thermostat was for engine warm up only.

While engine is cold it's open to bypass coolant internally inside the engine only, and the top valve to radiator is closed.
    Lower valve then closes once engine has warmed up.
    Then top opens for coolant to flow to radiator.

hence, cooling problems previously mentioned by others arise when lower valve isn't close fully once engine has warmed up.
    as some coolant then isn't' making it to the rad to be cooled off, and a coolant heat soak problem has begun

Or I'm wrong.

Anyway, don't bother putting more than 2 bottles of silicon oil into hub as it doesn't seem to help.
    I think to much silicon oil acts like coolant and actually prevents the hub locking up.
    Last weekend "towing" gave very poor results, as in higher engine temps.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much silicone doesn't prevent the hub from "locking up". Actually, the hub never locks up. It just turns at an increasingly greater % of engine speed as the bimetal spring opens the valve further.
    Increasing the amount of silicone will make the fan spin faster than normal because of the greater shear it needs to overcome, hence the increased fan noise.
    I'm currently trying to decide whether I accept that noise level while waiting for the hotter weather.
    My temps rarely get above 80. Usually fluctuates between 77-79 with a 77 degree thermostat.
    John

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Robo (9th November 2016)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realize viscus hub doesn't actually lock up, I'll rephrase, engage more.
    After chewing it over some more--
    last outing towing I couldn't hear the fan engage earlier, or increase airflow noise after more of the silicon was added.
    I did state I could hear more previously, but realy so slight at idle, willing to admit ,may of even just about imagined it after going to all the effort.
    Driving home towing it did seem a little better temp wise, maybe the silicon needed time to settle internally, but again fan noise hasn't increased enough for me to realy claim an improvement, therefore can't recommend it as an upgrade .

A twist,
    I was checking windscreen water bottle yesterday in Mav, the TB's airflow caught my attention as it was pulling alot more air at idle than TD42T, "alot more air".
    Is the TB42 viscus & fan a better setup?.
    It has a h/dty copper brass adra radiator fitted.
    Again thinking back, TD never pulled much air realy, especially compared to the TB.
    Any ideas?.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Realize viscus hub doesn't actually lock up, I'll rephrase, engage more.
    After chewing it over some more--
    last outing towing I couldn't hear the fan engage earlier, or increase airflow noise after more of the silicon was added.
    I did state I could hear more previously, but realy so slight at idle, willing to admit ,may of even just about imagined it after going to all the effort.
    Driving home towing it did seem a little better temp wise, maybe the silicon needed time to settle internally, but again fan noise hasn't increased enough for me to realy claim an improvement, therefore can't recommend it as an upgrade .

A twist,
    I was checking windscreen water bottle yesterday in Mav, the TB's airflow caught my attention as it was pulling alot more air at idle than TD42T, "alot more air".
    Is the TB42 viscus & fan a better setup?.
    It has a h/dty copper brass adra radiator fitted.
    Again thinking back, TD never pulled much air realy, especially compared to the TB.
    Any ideas?.
    Yeah not sure tbh. Unless the td hub was not working right????

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Robo (9th November 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just thought to bring this discussion back up, particularly about the Infinity fan and re oiled OEM hub. Yesterday we Melbournians were treated to a 30 degree day. It only took 270 days for this to happen but hey, we got one. Anyhoo, yesterday I got to actually see if any difference was made, from the 1.5 bottles of silicone fluid in the hub and the infinity fan. The answer is yes. For the better? Slightly. My temps usually sit or around 85-90c at 100k's. And easily climbs to around 100c when I sit at around 110k's.
    Well it still did this, but I did notice as the day was hotter, when slowing the temps would drop fast, and when driving around at 80ks I could hear the fan had engaged and where I would be sitting on 85'c it was now at 80c. Funny this about this, I drove the exact same road today, it was a cool day, and the engine fan wasn't engaged and the water temps was 85'c. And when I heard the fan go off, the temp would go back up to 85c. So what I have done has helped. No question. But I think I still need more oil in the hub. So I will be doing this soon, I hope. But radiator removal is needed for this, so its atelast a 12 stubby job. I have also heard good results from using a Colorado 4JJ1 engine hub and fan, bolts straight on too. But since I have more oil here, and no funds left , I will do this instead.
    Last edited by mudski; 18th November 2016 at 08:28 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Robo (18th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took mine out last Sunday for a run up to the Sunshine Coast. 37C outside temp, briefly saw 38 for a few seconds. The factory Ti outside temp readings have always been pretty accurate. It was a really hot day..
    My usual, around town, 78-80 temps moved up to 82-83. Ran it a little harder in the 110 km/h zone and got it to 85.
    Always had the A/C on including the rear evaporator.

This is with the G35 fan and 50ml of Toyota 10000 cst silicone in the TD42T original hub. I've decided to live with the additional engine noise and my wife agrees it's not too invasive.
    John

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th November 2016), Robo (18th November 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I took mine out last Sunday for a run up to the Sunshine Coast. 37C outside temp, briefly saw 38 for a few seconds. The factory Ti outside temp readings have always been pretty accurate. It was a really hot day..
    My usual, around town, 78-80 temps moved up to 82-83. Ran it a little harder in the 110 km/h zone and got it to 85.
    Always had the A/C on including the rear evaporator.

This is with the G35 fan and 50ml of Toyota 10000 cst silicone in the TD42T original hub. I've decided to live with the additional engine noise and my wife agrees it's not too invasive.
    Ok. So yesterday arvo i decided to remove the radiator and remove the hub and add more oil. Took way longer than expected as upon putting the hub back on with new nuts on the water pump studs, one of the studs decided to strip and i couldn't even undo the nut as it was just spinning on the stud. So out came the Dremel, and i finally got the nut off. Thank god for a bloke i know who stocks the studs and nuts and was open after hours. Lol. Now i have 2.5 bottles in it. It was hot today but didnt get a chance to go for a spin. I did go wrou d the block yesterday arvo, once warmed up, and the fan was engaged the entire time. So we'll see tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast