Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making for a softer suspension

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt think there'd be much difference in a 98 GU to a '10 GU.
    You could gain a bit with taller walled tyres, but live axles is very
    old technology compared to whats on offer from the newer IFS boys
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy_Pete View Post
    Thanks guys for you quick responses. The 4 Koni shocks and the Airbag Man rear booster bags were installed by Dale. I agree, he really knows his stuff. And yes, the Koni shocks are adjustable but he has them on the softest setting. And we have already fitted better padding to the front seats. So I think I will investigate the full airbag suspension. That seems to be the only hope.

As usual you members are all too willing to help with advice. So thanks again.
    Does he also have the rebound setting on it "softest" or all the way to - , that can upset things too. As all the way to +.
    You have high quality adjustable shocks, some simple tuning might make a world of difference for the cost of your time.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before spending lots of money on new suspension/new car, I'd have a look at your tyre pressures you're running. You mentioned you are running 36psi front, 38 psi rear on ATs. Personally I'd say that's way too high. I'd start by going off your tyre placard. For mine (GU3), it's 29psi front and 32psi rear. Give that a go. Of course you may need to run a few psi higher in the rear towing. Having said this, ATs have stronger/stiffer side walls, and can accept a slightly lower pressure. To test, inflate to you target pressure when cold, go for a drive to heat up your tyres, and recheck. they should read around 4psi above your target pressure.
    Andrew
    -----------------------
    GU3 Patrol, TB48, 33" muddies. front E-locker. 4.11 diff gears. 2.2 metre steel rack. Awning. Steel rear bar. Safari Snorkel. ARB side steps and brush rails. ARB Deluxe bull bar. Winch. 2" lift.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abw View Post
    To test, inflate to you target pressure when cold, go for a drive to heat up your tyres, and recheck. they should read around 4psi above your target pressure.[/COLOR]
    A good rule of thumb for car tyres, but for tyres of LT construction a rise of 6 psi when warm is about right, at least that’s my understanding.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

abw (19th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abw View Post
    Before spending lots of money on new suspension/new car, I'd have a look at your tyre pressures you're running. You mentioned you are running 36psi front, 38 psi rear on ATs. Personally I'd say that's way too high. I'd start by going off your tyre placard. For mine (GU3), it's 29psi front and 32psi rear. Give that a go. Of course you may need to run a few psi higher in the rear towing. Having said this, ATs have stronger/stiffer side walls, and can accept a slightly lower pressure. To test, inflate to you target pressure when cold, go for a drive to heat up your tyres, and recheck. they should read around 4psi above your target pressure.
    Ive always gone by 4 psi and its worked fine.
    So where are we up to, tyres pressures,driving style, suspsnsion seat, might do it, might
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What springs are in it now.
    and how much load are you towing.
    maybe you can settle on a softer spring.

Hazard a guess there's plenty of guys and gals here with spring siting in their sheds gathering dust.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for air suspension, but look at your cheaper options first IMO.
    Back of my ute is On-Air replacement c/-previous owner, so can't comment on difficulty of install.
    On the rare occasions passengers are in the back off-road, feedback has been positive about ride quality! Ride has been worse in cab on the springs.
    If you're looking at going down the air path, budget for an on board compressor + controllers too, as adjusting bag pressure via tyre-type valves is annoying.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about pillow air bags (brand name BOSS) that sit beside the coils replacing the bump stops, after feed back on these.

item No 201461423448
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12