Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Pedal Adjustment?

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the purpose of the threaded rod that goes from behind the clutch pedal somewhere into the firewall. It appears to have a lock nut, some thread, and also a 'grippy' section for what one would assume pliers to turn it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mark your starting position and try adjusting it.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Throbbinhood (7th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a measurement for that adjustment. I think the rod needs to be 114mm or something if my memory is serving me correctly.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (24th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Found some measurements in the Haynes Manual. Clutch pedal Hieght 202 to 212 mm. Freeplay 1-3mm. Stop lamp .3mm to 1mm.

The Factory manual states that the 202 to 212 mm is from the surface of the sloped metal floor to the top of the pad. The freeplay is the total of the pin and clevis and the piston and push rod combined. Adjust pedal height with the pedal stopper. Adjust freeplay with the master cylinder push rod or clutch booster input rod and then tighten lock nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th November 2016 at 11:08 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th November 2016)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Found some measurements in the Haynes Manual. Clutch pedal Hieght 202 to 212 mm. Freeplay 1-3mm. Stop lamp .3mm to 1mm.

The Factory manual states that the 202 to 212 mm is from the surface of the sloped metal floor to the top of the pad. The freeplay is the total of the pin and clevis and the piston and push rod combined. Adjust pedal height with the pedal stopper. Adjust freeplay with the master cylinder push rod or clutch booster input rod and then tighten lock nut.

Thanks for that mate. Does the manual say whether the input rod can be spun, or do I need to pull the pedal off so I can rotate the section at the end of the rod that joins the pedal?

And when you say freeplay, that is from when you apply pressure to the pedal to when the rod starts moving?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By the looks of it, I would try and undo the pin and nut, adjust it then put it all together. PITA but I wouldn't be moving the piston for fear of creating a leak. Yep the freeplay is as you said.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    By the looks of it, I would try and undo the pin and nut, adjust it then put it all together. PITA but I wouldn't be moving the piston for fear of creating a leak. Yep the freeplay is as you said.
    Thanks. I'll have to remove the clutch pedal itself to adjust then. I tried last night, but the slide section that goes over the pedal (that the pin then goes through) is too long to turn with the pedal there.

Thanks mate.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried adjusting it, no joy, still slipping. I pulled the bung out of the bellhousing, no oil or liquid came out so don't think it's contaminated. Didn't bleed the slave, but I would think that would make it harder to change gear, not make the clutch slip?

Anyone know the going rate for a clutch changeover on a gq including flywheel machine and change the rear main seal? Anything else that should be done whilst it's apart? Would prefer something that will last me more than 20k kms. Even though I'm on 35s I'm pushing stock power so I think that's pretty average out of a HD clutch.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car's at the mechanics. Turns out the clutch is fingered after less than 20,000kms. Said it was almost coming out in pieces.

Pretty annoyed. For a supposedly heavy duty clutch, don't really think it's good enough. I don't drive it that hard, most of those km's would've been on the highway.

Only time it gets a hard launch would be slippery clay hills. Even then, with the wheels spinning relatively quickly and easily, I'd have thought this wouldn't cause too many issues for the clutch.

So, the questions are - did the last mechanic actually put a new clutch in, or did I just get a dud? I've had multiple manual vehicles all with clutches going well over 100,000km's (including an xr6t that was abused daily), so 20k kms out of a clutch just has me dumbfounded.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound right. What brand is the clutch coming out? How old? My GQ had a new clutch put in when I purchased it cause it was slipping badly. No idea what brand, I have FLOGGED IT and she is still all good 13 years later. The GUIV has 270kms on the factory clutch! Thinking I've done bloody well.

What brand are you fitting? Consider the UFI clutch. Expensive though. Terrain Tamer Tuff Clutch get a good wrap too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast