Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel/injector pump issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuel/injector pump issue

hi guys im having a bit of a head scratching issue here. MY GU td42t wouldnt rev over 2k properly. it would get to 2k then just loose power ( does not misfire). it will still boost properly but just would barley move. i noticed water in tank so i replaced the tank as that tank was stuffed anyway and new filter etc. i have cleaned gauze filter in pump etc. when i pulled the pickup/sender out of old tank the green tip/filter thingy was broken off. i ordered a new one however it was gonna be a while until i could get it and i needed car running so i added a inline filter just after the tank. car ran fine not a issue after this however it got to 1/4 tank and did it again so i pulled into servo added 20 bucks and the problem went away again. could me not having the green filter/tip on the pickup be making it not reach the bottom of the tank causing it to starve of fuel?
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar
    Future mods: Intercooler, more boost, dual batteries, drop links for sway bar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it is starting and running (up to 2000rpm) then it sounds more likely the fuel filter & that gauze filter in the pump

when mine wouldnt go over 2500rpm, I had to clean the gauze filter twice - then it was ok
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleaned/new filters like i said was going great again after it did it then i changed tank and filters ran great then did it again i added fuel and it came great again the gauze filter wasnt even dirty

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I remember my old MK used to do the same. But only on a steep'ish hill with around 1/4 tank. I fill the tank and was all good. I had removed the tank, cleaned everything pickup was right, I spent a lot of time trying to find it but never did.
    Is is the standard pump? Or has it been played with? Fuel screw etc turned up?
    It could well just be a fuel starvation and when the tank is low the IP needs to draw the fuel just that little bit harder and if its an old pump, it might be struggling. Its a good idea anyway to add an external pressure pump, like a Carter HP4600 or the like. As I know the TD42's can starve of fuel when they have been played with. Moreso with the 12mm pumps but if the original pump is old, who knows. It would be good for the pump anyway to do this.

Edit : Having said that, the IP on my ol'MK probably needed the same thing. Lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be the breather pipe blocked for the fuel tank dos it make a sound of air sucking when you remove the fuel cap?
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

Filterselite (13th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi guys turns out after cleaning the gauze filter in the pump 3 times it finaly came good
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar
    Future mods: Intercooler, more boost, dual batteries, drop links for sway bar

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luvpsi For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th October 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    Could be the breather pipe blocked for the fuel tank dos it make a sound of air sucking when you remove the fuel cap?
    in my experience there is no sound.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help with this problem as I am trying to sort a similar issue with my ute - 1999 TD42 with aftermarket top mount intercooler, reconditioned motor fitted about 20,000km ago, injector pump overhauled at the same time. My symptoms started with an occasional brief 'flat spot' going through 2,800rpm. When it became consistent I opened the drain on fuel filter to check for dirt/water and found nothing, cranked it up after doing that check and it wouldn't pull above about 2,400rpm. 50km later it wouldn't rev above 1,700rpm, If I slowly increase throttle it gets to 1,700 without a miss but if I apply more throttle the revs drop back to 1,400.

I've checked all the obvious - filter/tank vent/fuel lines. I eventually put a fuel container on roof and gravity fed direct to injector pump and still got the same symptom. I'm guessing this points to a problem with injector pump and am hoping someone might have an answer. I've read about the gauze strainer but have no idea where to find it ! I undid the banjo fitting where feed line goes into injector pump but couldn't see anything in there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Kennedy
    Try making something up like the attached out of a wire coat hanger. Gauze filter (if there) is hard to fish out from under banjo. It may look clean, but is deceptive, and as posted above, may need multiple cleans.
    Also consider swapping out the fibre washers on the banjo for copper ones.IMG_20170303_075231.jpg
    Respectively: 02TD42T & 98TB45E; Ute & Wagon; Man & Auto; Fishing and Family;

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Frosty, I'll have another look. All I could see in there was what looked like a spring, the washers on the banjo are copper - I guess they put them in when pump got overhauled last year.
    I'm about to drop the main tank out and have a look inside - after reading another post about similar problem going away after tank was filled I set throttle a bit past the sweet spot and slightly pressurised tank through vent line and she revved up and ran smooth as. While doing that I noticed 2 of 3 wires going into top of tank were broken off - fuel gauge still works so am thinking there may be a lift pump inside??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast