Thread: MAF question 2.8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAF question 2.8

Hi everyone.

I would be interested in views regarding my MAF sensor. It's a 2000 GU 2.8 TD.

I recently had the tappets adjusted, injectors reconditioned, and glow plugs replaced. Done 178,000 so thought why not.

Anyway, all seemed fine initially but I have noticed a loss of power. Seems to be bogged down from about 3000 rpm and I have noticed I am needing to use 3rd in hills I could use 4th in not long ago. Really seems to bog down heading up hill even in 2nd unless it's revving high. Turbo not boosting as much I think as well. I thought maybe something sinister had happened with the recent work but I think now it may be the MAF.
    I have followed the instructions as per other posts. This is what I have done:

1) Cleaned MAF correctly.
    2) Checked voltages as follows: (unplugged) white with ignition on 12.4 v, (plugged) Black at idle 0.01v, (plugged) Red at idle 0.12v. Going from instructions these don't seem correct (except the white one). In particular I think the red should be 1.6v to 2.0 v. and the black 0 v.
    3) Unplugged MAF and went for a drive. Seemed no different as to when it is plugged in.

So, I am of the view that the MAF is knackered but I would appreciate any views others may have.

The only other thing I have noticed since the service is that the sound in the cabin has changed with the idle. It's now much more noisy when at idle as it seems to be vibrating differently at the console. This could be as a result of the changes to the motor I guess. Idle's at 750 rpm. They also tell me the cam shaft is pitted so I will deal with that down the track a little.

Many thanks.
    Gary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maf could be dead or you have a broken wire somewhere????

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

gbab01 (10th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Just thought I would post a follow up to assist any one searching with a similar problem. Got a reconditioned MAF on eBay for $100, installed in ten minutes and problem fixed. Boosting and revving all like it should be. Voltages all correct within range. Can actually get up a hill now. Awesome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gbab01 For This Useful Post:

mudski (14th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Try and swap the maf if possible , disconnect the battery too to re set ecu.
    Then go get a dyno.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there