User Tag List

Thread: Fraser Island Ship Wrecks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser Island Ship Wrecks.

Just wondering if anyones been on Fraser Island in the last few years.

Are those ship wrecks still standing? They were looking quite sad when I last saw them in the 90's and didnt look like they were going to be there long.

How's that fancy resort going on the other side not made for us 4x4ers. That was a pretty nice place. Little bit of a mission getting there through the back way after the rain we had but we made it. Looked like outcast's when we turned up to the resort soaked in mud and all that.

Havent been there for about 15 years now and would love to hear any new stories of the place.

I got caught up with the tides last time there and had to camp in the 4wd overnight, the wife and kids were worried sick but it was my own stupidity and not paying attention properly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Simmo, ship wrecks are still there but not like they used to be.

Rusting away slowly. If i remember, the one of the far east side is almost gone and also getting buried by the ocean after all that time.

It's a lot busy now then it was back then. Still can find great spots but its very popular now.

Didnt make it to the resort side when i visited last so cant help you there.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at goin up there soon with some mates so I'll take some photos if you like and let you know.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was up there for a week last April, and I was disappointed with the condition of the Island. last time I was up there was in 1992 and it was good.
    The inland tracks are all chewed up by backpackers and their Troopy's, every where that you go there is backpackers.

The Park Rangers were trying to tell us that "due to all of the rain that they have had since Xmas and the school holidays, they haven't have time to grade the tracks"

The "Mahoo" ship wreck is still there but slowly disappearing.

We ventured over to the other side to Kingfisher Bay, it has grown more than last time and looks out of place with the rest of the Island, but saying that, Eurong, Dilli and Cathedral Beach are all changing to accommodate the tourist.

We travelled from Eurong through to Central Station travelling at about 5km per hour due to the bog holes in the track. Drove further on to Lake Mackenzie and it was closed due to renovations, no signs along the tracks to say this and it took 1 1/2 hours from central Station to get there.
    We wern't happy campers to say the least.

Plenty of dingos running around

I hope that you have a better trip than I did.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats a huge shame.

I havent been there since the 90's either and it was beautiful back then and hardly anyone around.

Thanks for showing us the pics, atleast the dingos will be well fed now...lol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god, that doesnt sound good.

Cheers for the pics. Well I am young and single so i like the backpacker idea but the tracks being messed up and if theres rubbish everywhere ill be pretty mad!

I went there when i was only 10 but from what i remember it was clean and quiet...Paradise!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fraser island is beatufil be great one day if i could go there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KBOOBI View Post
    I was up there for a week last April, and I was disappointed with the condition of the Island. last time I was up there was in 1992 and it was good.
    The inland tracks are all chewed up by backpackers and their Troopy's, every where that you go there is backpackers.
    Anyone know of any 'good' seasons or times to go and avoid backpackers?

Advanced
    Off Shore on Macleay Island, Near Straddie
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go up every year with a bunch of blokes for the tailor season. Even then, being winter, the backpacker plague continues.

They have recently put limitations on the backpackers on how many they stuff into a landbruiser and how it is packed...no longer are they allowed to have huge loads on the roof rack. It is really the rental vehicle owners that are responsible for they way in which the backpackers drive and eventually crash. The loads they used to put on the roofs of those already top heavy troop carriers was a recipe for disaster.

Backpackers are not allowed to venture (in their vehicles) past Indian Head. This means that the northern end is relatively dick head free, apart from the Aussie ones.

My biggest issue with Fraser is the bloody Dingo's. I have no problem with them as such, but all the tourists have made them unafraid of humans and as a result they invade camps looking for food and are a real threat to small children. When I go there I throw sticks and rocks at them, not to be mean or cruel, but to make them wary of humans, but all the idiot tourists undo that work by feeding the buggers.

My father regales me with tales of when he was a young bloke going to Fraser and there was hardly a dingo to be seen as they were wary of humans. I took him back in about 1998 and he was disappointed at how Fraser has become a tourist hot spot and is really abused.

I personally like Moreton of Straddie. Moreton is a lot smaller, but less of the backpacker factor, probably due to the distance. Straddie is a lot closer (for me it is my next door neighbour) and has the nice wide open beach and beach camping sites that Fraser has and is not as populated in the off season. It has both the isolated areas south towards the jumpin pin and the more popular camping areas with amenities closer to the northern end near Dunwich.

I love taking my family to Straddie (southern end) and I can let my two young daughters walk on the beach an explore without the threat of dingos and Traffic.

My 2 cents

Cheers

TC