OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Handbrake light - Coincidence or something more sinister :)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handbrake light - Coincidence or something more sinister :)

Hi all in the patrol brains trust. Got a question regarding the handbrake light on my 09 GU 3.0 CRD....

I've just bought and installed an Engine Data Scan unit. Installed as per supplied instructions and it seems to work as it should. However since I've put it in the handbrake light has come on and wont go off. It also seems to have affected how my turbo timber works.

I'm just wondering if plugging this thing into the computer could have caused some weird shit to go down? Seems a bit coincidental to me 😏

I've had a bit of a read and checked what I could find regarding the brake light. All seems fine there. The turbo timer would let the engine switch off if you released the handbrake before the timer finished, but now it won't..

I checked the EDS and there are no fault codes listed. I disconnected the battery for a few hours tonight to reset the ECU. No good there either.

Any ideas people's ??
    Be happy to hear any input. Car still drives & behaves as normal. Going on a 3 week trip soon and need to have peace of mind it ain't gonna shat itself

Thanks in advance.

Simon.
    Just joined the GU club... Happy days !
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you checked if your brake fluid is low?. You could also try disconnecting the low brake fluid sensor and see if the light turns off.

Where did you mount the scan unit? What scan unit is it?. Where is the turbo timer unit mounted?. Did you remove the centre console?

It's possible you may have drilled or screwed in the harness for the handbrake warning light and this is what is causing the light to stay on. The switch for the handbrake light is at the base of the handbrake lever. If the console was removed you may have caught the wire when refitting the console. Check the harness running from the switch for damage.

It appears that your shutdown timer is also connected to the handbrake circuit. So it's possible you may have drilled or screwed into this harness. Double check where you have been working.

Plugging the scan tool into the computer shouldn't bring the handbrake light on. I think it's something you have done with the wiring or low brake fluid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Lambroast (31st August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Yendor. Appreciate your taking the time. I seem to have sorted it. I'd already checked the brake fluid level, pads and handbrake switch. I think it was all to do with the handbrake circuit. Maybe.. There was no drilling involved to install the EDS- just plug it in and route the cable. Easy as. I may have disturbed the wiring in doing this. I took off the cover under the steering wheel for a look and found that the earth wire for the brake controller had come adrift. Dunno whether this had anything to do with it ??
    Anyways all good now. Back to the way it was.

Cheers
    Simon.
    Just joined the GU club... Happy days !
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lambroast For This Useful Post:

Clunk (31st August 2016)