User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oodnadatta Tk and nearby

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been doing the occasional trip with the young one since he was 6 months. he is pretty good 2500km on black stuff in two days no worries. but the third day... didn't want a bar of it. driving at night was easier for him as he loved sleeping in the car.

as he gets older i find i gotta stop every couple hours to let him run around, keeps everyone sane. yeah got a tablet for him to watch now. he also sleeps while i go through the fun tracks.

good luck with the weather
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When are you planning on doing this trip mate?
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Hey Cuppa, I meant driving Melbourne to Brisbane and Melbourne to Coffs.
    Yeah, I was really only drawing a comparison between bitumen driving & outback tracks. Didn’t even look at distances.

12000 in 4 weeks! Whew! I learned my lesson doing around 13,000 in 7 weeks two up on a bike on Ozzie bitumen, in October/November about 16 years ago.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tips on the DVD player mate, it's something that I hadn't thought of but I reckon it's a must.

And yeah, we plan on doing a few runs with him, driving and camping, getting progressively further as he and us become more comfortable with it.

Thanks for the tips guys, it's all really appreciated. Haven't done the traveling with a kid thing before, so it's all a learning curve. We are reasonably well setup with the camper, so hoping that makes camping with the little fella a bit more comfortable.

Cheers for the advice, and if others have more, keep it coming
    We traveled with our two year old and a portable dvd player was a real winner.

Our first day was from melbourne to renmark and then to Parachilna in the flinders( great pub there). Then onto farina has a great camping area.
    From there we stayed a coward spring for a few days. From there spent one night at algebuckina then on up to dalhousie springs. Awesome spot dalhousie. From there stayed at lambertscentre of australia just outside of finke. The moved onto curtin springs on way to Uluru.

Hope that helps with some spots to stay.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    Been doing the occasional trip with the young one since he was 6 months. he is pretty good 2500km on black stuff in two days no worries. but the third day... didn't want a bar of it. driving at night was easier for him as he loved sleeping in the car.

as he gets older i find i gotta stop every couple hours to let him run around, keeps everyone sane. yeah got a tablet for him to watch now. he also sleeps while i go through the fun tracks.

good luck with the weather
    Cheers for that mate, we plan to build him up a bit the same and get him used to the longer drives.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    When are you planning on doing this trip mate?
    Probably looking around Aug-Sept next year at a guess. Figure we start planning now so we can work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yeah, I was really only drawing a comparison between bitumen driving & outback tracks. Didn’t even look at distances.

12000 in 4 weeks! Whew! I learned my lesson doing around 13,000 in 7 weeks two up on a bike on Ozzie bitumen, in October/November about 16 years ago.
    Riding 2 up for that many km's! Jesus! Hope you had a comfy seat hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by oddkid82 View Post
    We traveled with our two year old and a portable dvd player was a real winner.

Our first day was from melbourne to renmark and then to Parachilna in the flinders( great pub there). Then onto farina has a great camping area.
    From there we stayed a coward spring for a few days. From there spent one night at algebuckina then on up to dalhousie springs. Awesome spot dalhousie. From there stayed at lambertscentre of australia just outside of finke. The moved onto curtin springs on way to Uluru.

Hope that helps with some spots to stay.
    Mate, that is awesome help! Will lookup all of those places, we plan to do a similar things. Stay a bit longer at the nice spots, and leave the long days driving for the black top.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably looking around Aug-Sept next year at a guess. Figure we start planning now so we can work towards it.

Riding 2 up for that many km's! Jesus! Hope you had a comfy seat hahaha!

Mate, that is awesome help! Will lookup all of those places, we plan to do a similar things. Stay a bit longer at the nice spots, and leave the long days driving for the black top.
    We will be out there at that time , i reckon best time to do it all the nomads have left 😊 we are doing Brissy to Alice via the Plenty hwy , the Rock and maybe Kings canyon, on to Fink and Dalhousie, down the ood to Farina ( cause its awsome , back up the Birdsville to Mungarrine , ( awsome pub and artisian pool ) then walkers crossing to Inniminka, Camerons cnr and on to home , Well thats the plan anyway! We are lucky our kids travel very well and look forward to our bigger trips , we have done 5000k in three weeks last year no worries at all , and 2000k in a week last month ,
    Be open to a change of plans , depending on weather , track conditions etc ,
    People say it's a push and that that they would wait for retirement etc .
    My response is always , that day might never come !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    We will be out there at that time , i reckon best time to do it all the nomads have left 😊 we are doing Brissy to Alice via the Plenty hwy , the Rock and maybe Kings canyon, on to Fink and Dalhousie, down the ood to Farina ( cause its awsome , back up the Birdsville to Mungarrine , ( awsome pub and artisian pool ) then walkers crossing to Inniminka, Camerons cnr and on to home , Well thats the plan anyway! We are lucky our kids travel very well and look forward to our bigger trips , we have done 5000k in three weeks last year no worries at all , and 2000k in a week last month ,

Awesome trip by the look of it did similar from Melb to Birdsville via old strezlecki track.
    Mungaranni great pub as you said, we camped out at the Cully Murra water hole for a week
    Doing Haddons , cameron and poepells corner along the way. Wanted to do a lot more exploring
    but it was 2 weeks after the Birdsville races so all tracks were cut up bad, oh well next time
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post

Add in an overnighter at Claytons Bore when on the Birdsville Tk, you wont regret it. Great walk around the wetlands made by the uncapped bore, & the star light spa is hard to beat.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Add in an overnighter at Claytons Bore when on the Birdsville Tk, you wont regret it. Great walk around the wetlands made by the uncapped bore, & the star light spa is hard to beat.
    Yep stopped there last year . So many good place's to pull up and not normally many people around ,

If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12