Thread: Oodnadatta Tk and nearby

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oodnadatta Tk and nearby

Hey guys, I'm thinking of heading up from SE VIC to do Oodnadatta, up to Dalhousie Springs, then to Alice Springs, Back to Uluru, Cooper Pedy and then home again.

Few questions for those who have done this before..

1) Is three weeks enough to do this comfortably?

2) Any issues towing a camper trailer up the Oodnadatta? Being towed by a pretty capable GQ.

3) Is Ooodnadatta just a big long dirt road? Would I expect my fuel economy to jump considerably as it would doing beach work, or not quite that bad? From what I could see, there's ULP available every 200kms or so up the Oodnadatta

4) Anything else I should check out on the way?

5) Lastly, What's the LPG situation like out that way. Not for me, but a mate in his toyboater is lpg/fuel so trying to work out how many jerry can's he'll need.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    3 weeks is plenty of time to see everything.
    Oodnadatta track is a graded road so should be fine for your trailer.
    Ave speed would be 80kph to 90 depending on conditions
    Not sure where your last LPG would be Leigh Creek was the last place I got it.
    Drive to conditions and heed speed signs.
    4wd wouldnt be required I dont think

Id say Coober pedy would have LPG

http://www.shell.com.au/motorists/fuel-finder.html
    Last edited by threedogs; 25th August 2016 at 01:37 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of heading up from SE VIC to do Oodnadatta, up to Dalhousie Springs, then to Alice Springs, Back to Uluru, Cooper Pedy and then home again.

Few questions for those who have done this before..

1) Is three weeks enough to do this comfortably?

2) Any issues towing a camper trailer up the Oodnadatta? Being towed by a pretty capable GQ.

3) Is Ooodnadatta just a big long dirt road? Would I expect my fuel economy to jump considerably as it would doing beach work, or not quite that bad? From what I could see, there's ULP available every 200kms or so up the Oodnadatta

4) Anything else I should check out on the way?

5) Lastly, What's the LPG situation like out that way. Not for me, but a mate in his toyboater is lpg/fuel so trying to work out how many jerry can's he'll need.

Thanks in advance.
    You should be able to do it in three weeks.
    There will be a few big day of driving. If you want to relax abit once you get to the middle.

I just did that trip about 8 weeks ago. We didnt get as far as alice just to Uluru.
    There is a great free camping spot about 80km out of uluru called curtin springs.

The oodnadatta track is easy going. Depending which way you go to dalhousie the tracks get abit rougher and chopped up. There is lots of water out there at moment.

As for the towing you should have no problems.

Not to sure on the lpg situation as I have a diesel and didn't take any notice

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome, thanks mate.

Not afraid of long days. Have done the drive to Brisbane and Coffs Harbour a few times in one hit. Would rather do that, then I can veg about in the middle for a week or two.
    Would be interesting to see how the young fella handles it, would be about 18 months old by then.

Thanks for the tip on Curtin Springs, I'll put it on the list

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helps to have an exit plan as well while traveling the Oodnadatta Track (or any outback track). My last trip out that way (August 2012) it started raining lightly as I was packing up camp at Farina. Got to Marree around 10 am, fueled up & headed towards Lake Eyre with the rain increasing, the track becoming slippery & having to use 4 high. Planned on camping near the lake for a few days but decided to push on around 2 pm as the rain was getting heavier.

By the time I got to William Creek (still in 4 high) I was only able to do around 30 km per hour. Bailed out & headed to Coober Pedy. Took 6 hours to drive the last 130 odd km`s & was completely knackered by the time I got there, first time I was glad to see a tarred road.

Went through a lot more fuel than planned, luckily I was carrying extra. Glad I bailed, heard later that there were guys stranded out on the Oodnadatta Track further north for weeks.

Carry as much fuel as you can & keep an eye on the weather.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Helps to have an exit plan as well while traveling the Oodnadatta Track (or any outback track). My last trip out that way (August 2012) it started raining lightly as I was packing up camp at Farina. Got to Marree around 10 am, fueled up & headed towards Lake Eyre with the rain increasing, the track becoming slippery & having to use 4 high. Planned on camping near the lake for a few days but decided to push on around 2 pm as the rain was getting heavier.

By the time I got to William Creek (still in 4 high) I was only able to do around 30 km per hour. Bailed out & headed to Coober Pedy. Took 6 hours to drive the last 130 odd km`s & was completely knackered by the time I got there, first time I was glad to see a tarred road.

Went through a lot more fuel than planned, luckily I was carrying extra. Glad I bailed, heard later that there were guys stranded out on the Oodnadatta Track further north for weeks.

Carry as much fuel as you can & keep an eye on the weather.
    Thanks mate. Yeah I usually tend to over plan these things, much to my partners dismay, but it pays off in a situation like yours.

Although, I don't think I'd mind being stuck on Oodnadatta for a few extra weeks, as long as I've got enough beer.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not afraid of long days. Have done the drive to Brisbane and Coffs Harbour a few times in one hit. Would rather do that, then I can veg about in the middle for a week or two.
    Would be interesting to see how the young fella handles it, would be about 18 months old by then.

My view - you are biting off too much, especially if travelling with an 18 month old. I would suggest setting off & just evaluating things as you go. I recall travelling with an 18 month old not long after we arrived in Oz. Don’t underestimate the demands of keeping him happy in an unfamiliar environment (for you & him). I will never forget the trauma of trying to change a full nappy by a roadside, in the heat with ten million flies trying to make the job twenty million times harder than it needed to be! It doesn’t matter where you get to, only that you went.

If you are unfamiliar with travelling on tracks like the Oodnadatta you should plan to keep your speed down rather than pulling high daily mileage. It’s deceiving, it is just a long & remote dirt road but the need for constant scanning of the road ahead for soft sand, wash outs, rocks etc is tiring, & far more so at speed. A long day out there is not comparable to driving the relatively relaxed consistency of Brissie to Coffs. Expect the road to change all the time. You may get lucky & find sections recently graded but even then it pays to take it steady. It only takes one unexpected rock or wash out to ruin your day or worse. Others will recall how after much planning a chap who used to come on the forum (Billybleed) underestimated it & rolled his Patrol somewhere up that road, luckily without injury. The road itself is not the challenge, the real challenge is not becoming complacent & pushing too hard, very easy to do that on ‘long days’ when ‘destination focussed’. Note too that VK2FMIA & oddkid82 were both prepared to modify their trips rather than sticking with what they set out to do. It’s a wise attitude to take. If it took you all your holiday just to get to Oodnadatta & back because of conditions (it wont , I’m exagerating to make a point) you would have had a great adventure with stories to tell. Don’t convince yourself that you must ‘get there’. Enjoy the trip & if you don’t ‘get there’, it’ll still be around for another time, just as you will be.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 25th August 2016 at 04:20 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah might be best to do a few test runs with the little one on board if you can I reckon. I remember when our oldest was 18months old we decided to drive from Melbourne to Brissy. First day was home to Dubbo, bout 12hours it was. She slept 45minutes in that time, and by the time we got to dubbo, she, my wife and I were beside ourselves. I remember my daughter crying and crying, because she was so tired and not in a familiar place and all she was saying was, "home" with tears welling up and the saddest look on her face. So we spent the next day at the Dubbo zoo, she loved it, then managed to find a DVD player headrest thingo, and we bought about 10 dvds and we just played them one after the other on the rest of the trip.

So. You need to remember, if you don't already, kids of that age can't sit for long periods in a car and just look out the window like adults can. Prepare and arm yourself with everything you think you may need, and more. Now. My kids love the long distance driving. We spent 13hours on the road one day last year heading up to QLD, and not once did they ask, are we there yet? They now get all excited when they hop in the car. Ones a teenager and the other is almost so this will more than likely fade out soon too. Then it will be just me and the missus. WooHoo!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    A long day out there is not comparable to driving the relatively relaxed consistency of Brissie to Coffs.
    Hey Cuppa, I meant driving Melbourne to Brisbane and Melbourne to Coffs. Thankyou for the advice though, it all helps and is all taken on board.
    We plan to head up with some family. Hoping more to do the main stretches of Mel > Adelaide in a day type thing, then we can take our time on the Oodnadatta and take a week-week and a half to do that.

Once I'm offroad, I much prefer to take it slow and find a nice spot to rest and relax than push hard to the next spot. I got over pushing too hard on holidays after cramming 12000kms driving of the USA into four weeks. All on road though.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah might be best to do a few test runs with the little one on board if you can I reckon.
    Great tips on the DVD player mate, it's something that I hadn't thought of but I reckon it's a must.

And yeah, we plan on doing a few runs with him, driving and camping, getting progressively further as he and us become more comfortable with it.

Thanks for the tips guys, it's all really appreciated. Haven't done the traveling with a kid thing before, so it's all a learning curve. We are reasonably well setup with the camper, so hoping that makes camping with the little fella a bit more comfortable.

Cheers for the advice, and if others have more, keep it coming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast