2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Piggymac, thanks for the info. I come over to Oz from UK every year and I bought my GU Patrol about 2 years ago. I too have the belt-type squealing but I cannot get it to do it when stationary. It doesn't do it on acceleration but when I get to any cruising speed it screeches like a banshee. However, if I push down on the accelerator or ease off, it goes away. I am not a mechanic so will have to get it seen too now I know what the probable problem is. I will get back and let you know if it works.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have a leaking manifold gasket it sounds the same
    under acceleration
    be interesting what you find

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Robo (15th July 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was as piggymac said in his post. Followed his advice and managed to get the EGR pipe off and found that the lower flange was warped and it was visibly evident that exhaust fumes were letting by. Getting the bottom bolt of the lower flange off was quite difficult as there isn't much room to work in, only able to get the tips of 2 fingers to reach the bolt. After rubbing the flange down with lubricated emery cloth I managed to get it flat. I made sure there was liquid gasket on the surfaces and after a lot of swearing and cursing I managed to get it all back together again and to my great relief, on the test drive, the squealing had gone. Whoooppeeee!!! I would suggest that if anyone has an intermittent squealing sound, before spending megabucks on belt tensioners, alternators or pulleys, take an hour or so to strip down the aluminium EGR pipe, it may save you a lot of money

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a squeal when I plant the foot around a corner, I think it's coming from the left hand front seat though, but not sure Welcome.
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a noise in my GU too . some days it may take 200 or 300kms to make this noise and other days 10ks down the road ,
    if I put the foot down or back off fast the noise will go but if only very slow can almost make it sing . took it to dealer was told to keep driving untill noise is there all the time so easy to find.
    I mentioned the Forum and the EGR that was a bad move the only thing he did then was prove that he was a wanka , He didnt have a good thing to say about the forum .
    I will try unplugging the egr see if that works .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have come across this problem about four times now seems to be common problem but sometimes a slightly different sound. you need to check the first exhaust manifold port for signs of black soot sometimes this is very hard to see get a good light and check over the whole manifold area they usually have a broken stud sometimes they look ok but there broken. because of heat sheilding it is very hard to diagnose. in most cases the manifold will need machining and recommend changing everything studs, gasket anything thats hard to get too.

Hope this helps sounds like a few of you have this problem.
    Cheers Alex

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a mate who has a 2004 ZD30 and has had that problem twice. Fixed by replacing the EGR at the local Nissan dealer at great great expense
    He's going to spit chips when he hears how simple the fix could have been - maybe
    Bog standard 2005 GUIV Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g`day had quite a few probs with this car when i 1st bought it ..had a horrible noise when cold .sounded like a real metal bearing noise ,,nissan said turbo..so i had the turbo replaced at my cost ,still the same noise.took my original turbo to the diesel speciast an they told me the turbo was fine .$750.00 door stop now, the car wouldn`t get off the mark like it used to .realy lagging till the turbo kicked ~2200rpm ,i then took the car to this special about the noise he heard it and said "I know what that is " he went on to tell me it was a manifold leak at #1 they machined the manifold and bingo no noise ,,I swore black an blue this was a machanical noise it sounded like a destroyed bearing when cold (the misses was embarrassed to drive away from school (she`s a teacher)but alass i was wrong

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I have this noise (silicone spray on belts etc tried and didnt work, the belts look fine)
    Any workshop recomendation that can get this sorted for me in Sydney (Hills area but can go any suburb). The noise has gradually gone louder and lasts longer

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast